Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day, ladies. Well, it is not exactly the Mother's Day we celebrate today, but it was on this day many, many years ago that the ancient Romans celebrated what they called the Matronalia, a festival that was always always took place March 1st.  This annual "festival of women" was held in honor of Juno Luciana, goddess who watched over married women, childbirth, and motherhood. As the ideal woman, Juno Luciana was the symbol of the perfect Roman wife and mother.  Hubbies not only  served their women folk at the table, but also presented them presents upon this day...and Roman husbands were also expected to offer prayers for their wives. The Matronalia was a true celebration of women which eventually evolved into our Mother's Day and was shifted to May.

In my book, I think we ladies are deserving of both days. After all, without us, where would our men be?  So, kick off your shoes tonight and let hubby serve the dinner.  I've already told hubby what I want....Dominican style chicken stew.  I absolutely love the way he makes it. And it's not too late for you to make plans. This is your day, ladies.  Enjoy it.


Wishing you all a wonderful weekend. May you find peace, love, and happiness awaiting you.




4 comments:

  1. What a great holiday! Why don't we get the day off?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning friend.....I haven't been doing much blogging as of late...but just wanted to check in with you. Very informative post......I personally think EVERYDAY should be Mother's Day.....don't you???

    xoxo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful day. And I tend to agree with you... 2 days to celebrate women does not seem to many at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some men would say that every day is Mothers Day, but not my Ed. He's always praising them and all they do.
    Looking at the time on the clock, I'm sure that you enjoyed your meal. :0)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete