Thursday, June 7, 2012

Parable of the Week: A Determined Spirit


Once upon a time, a small bird named Tasoo lived in a vast jungle. One hot summer day, a terrible wildfire erupted and the flames devoured many trees and animals living in the jungle.

Other birds flew high into the sky and far away to safety, but Tasoo couldn't bear to leave her precious jungle home to burn. Day and night, she flew with all her might back and forth to the river, filling her tiny beak with water to drop on the raging fires.

Tasoo's rare heart of courage and unshakable determination moved the heavenly gods to shed tears, and a great rain poured down upon the jungle, extinguishing the flames.

And so it is that even the smallest actions of a determined spirit can change the world.


(According to  sources, this  story is from a popular parable that originated with the Quechua (Incan) Indians of South America.)

Do you believe your life can make a difference in our world? In my opinion, the point of today's parable is to emphasize that, although few of us ever imagine that the way we live our live cab affect the greater course of events, the truth is, we all have within each of us the capacity to change the world in small ways for better or worse. It can be something as simple as holding the door for the next person, picking up a piece of litter and tossing it in the trash, donating something to a homeless shelter, recycling whatever you can, or thanking someone such as a police officer, fireman, etc. for the work that they do. Just think of the difference we could make if each of us did one little thing.

On another note, I am finally beginning to feel human again after nearly two weeks of battling the worst cold that I have had in years. And, to add insult to injury, the worst of it was when I coughed and pulled a rib muscle. Thereafter, every cough felt like a knife was cutting through me.  You know, that burning pain of a muscle sprain.  Well, to make a long story short, I wasn't getting any better, and it was starting to scare me.  I don't take to being sick very well.  My psychosomatic tendencies begin to kick in.  

All I can say is 'thank goodness for amoxicillin'. Immediately knocked it out of me.  I  usually treat myself with natural concoctions, but something told me this was going to take something stronger.  It sure is good to feel like myself again.  I thank all of you for your kind words and well wishes.

Hoping you all have a great day.



5 comments:

  1. So good to hear you are healing. Everything will look, sound and be better when you are fully yourself again. Take good care now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we just have to resort to medication -- glad it did the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome parable and is affirmation in regards to the intention of this lone bird being heard by the Blessed Universe.

    So very glad you are feeling better Mary. There is nothing worse than a spring or summer cold.

    Keep on keepin' on Sister Love!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a WISE WOMAN m/f. Get well soon. (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like me about a month ago. Coughed so hard I pulled one of my ribs out in back. Seems like the cold viruses just keep getting harder to shed than they used to be.
    Glad your feeling better, Mary. X

    ReplyDelete