Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Heartprints




Whatever our hands touch--- 
We leave fingerprints! 
On walls, on furniture, 
On doorknobs, dishes, books, 
As we touch we leave our identity.

Oh please where ever I go today, 
Help me leave heartprints! 
Heartprints of compassion 
Of understanding and love. 
Heartprints of kindness 
and genuine concern.

May my heart touch a lonely neighbor 
Or a runaway daughter, 
Or an anxious mother, 
Or, perhaps, a dear friend!

I shall go out today 
To leave heartprints, 
And if someone should say 
"I felt your touch," 
May that one sense be... 
YOUR LOVE Touching through ME.

--Author Unknown--

Lately I've done so much griping about the rudeness of the people who ride the subway that I've forgotten to acknowledge those that go that extra mile to show that touch of kindness. Middle-aged women who, upon seeing me with a cane, immediately rise and offer their seat, the woman who took my arm and steadied me when I almost went down when the train jerked the other day, or the man in the store who everyday adds that little something special to my smoothie.  And, how could I forget to mention the boy who lives upstairs in my building.  He's only about ten years old, but each time he sees me he runs to hold the door for me...and everything is 'thank you' and 'you're welcome'.  His parents are certainly raising him right. 

And then there are those people who, as if sensing you are feeling down on yourself, smile and tell you how nice you look, even though  you are feeling like crap.  A compliment sure does go a long way when one has been spending the day dwelling on their flaws.  In my case, it's all this darned weight I have gained. Some days I walk by a mirror and don't even recognize that bloated, out-of-shape woman looking back at me.   A few kind words can make anyone's day.

It's a great feeling when you give of yourself, and it doesn't have to cost a penny.  It may be nothing more than a pleasant smile that seeks to ease someone's pain.  Or, it may be something  as simple such as assisting an elderly or handicapped person across a busy street.  It is something that is done simply to make someone else happy. Brings me back to a time when I was traveling home from work a few  years ago.  It was a Friday evening, and everyone on the train seemed tired and grumpy.  Then, out of the blue came the conductor's voice announcing that an ice cream shop en route was offering a free scoop of the flavor of your choice.  This was something so totally unexpected that everyone broke out in a chuckle.  The entire mood had changed from one of gloominess to one of delight, and it hadn't cost the conductor anything.

In closing, several had shone an interest in the free Kabbalah course mentioned  yesterday in my blog.  For your perusal:  Kaballah

5 comments:

  1. Loved todays post m/f. Indeed .... a little of yourself....extended out to others, goes a long, long way. (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are a mixed bag, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, beautiful post!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angels appear to us all the time and we sometimes forget their appearance. Lately I've been reading on blogs the kindness of people which is so nice to read. And how important it is we give back in some small way. Thank you for reminding me of the beauty of life when we need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Mary.....uplifting post today.....thanks for this. You know.....and I'm sure you do.....TRUE BEAUTY comes from the inside out!! Just sayin'

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete