Friday, November 25, 2011

Buy Nothing Day: November 25

The safe way to double your money is to fold it over once and put it in your pocket.  -- Frank Hubbard



A little late today, but I just got to the computer.  Had a wonderful Thanksgiving yesterday.  I have some pictures of the food which still have to be uploaded or downloaded...whichever...I still don't know the difference.  Surprisingly, it was my youngest who was the most melancholy about  the last holiday in our home...and he doesn't even live here.   He's looking for an apartment, and I really had to talk him out of this one.  A crack addict with $60,000 is not going to be able to hold onto a home for long.

Today is the 9th annual Buy Nothing Day an international holiday that protests consumerism and is now celebrated on Black Friday.  Buy Nothing Day, which falls on Black Friday, is a 24 hour moratorium on holiday shopping.  Granted, there are some pretty good deals on Black Friday which makes it the biggest shopping day of the year, as well as being considered to be the first day of the Christmas holiday season. The point is to get people to stop and think about how much stuff we buy that we don't really need.

We don't need to increase our goods nearly as much as we need to scale down our wants.  Not wanting something is as good as possessing it.  --Donald Horban

I have never shopped on a Black Friday.  Cannot take crowds.  I guess you might say I suffer from panic attacks.  My heart begins to palpitate and I break out in a sweat.  Usually leave the store in tears.   And shoppers looking for those sales can be downright dangerous, and I've read many a tale of violence erupting, the worst being the death of a  Walmart worker  in 2008; he was trampled to death after an "out-of-control" mob of frenzied shoppers smashed through the Long Island store's front doors.  Was the almighty sale really worth a man's life?

So, what I like to do  on Black Friday is relax and do nothing, except may boiling the turkey bones for soup. I just say no thank you to the insanity that occurs the day after Thanksgiving.

Have a wonderful weekend. 

5 comments:

  1. We are not Black Friday *Fanatics* either. Good grief no. I couldn't stand jostling crowds.

    I like the "Buy Nothing Day" thing.

    So glad your Thanksgiving was so nice, the last in your present home. Sorry younger son was overly nostalgic. Yikes no! He certainly doesn't want to jump into the mess, you are just getting out of. -sigh-

    Today is relaxed decorating for Christmas Holiday. :-) Have to get off the computer and go do it!!! :-)

    Gentle hugs,
    "Winter is the time of promise because there is so little to do-or because you can now and then permit yourself the luxury of thinking so."
    ~Stanley Crawford

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's NOT "my cup of tea "either.
    Have a wonderful long weekend Mary.
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently the "Occupy Wall Street" movement now has an offshoot called "Occupy Christmas" which is extending the values of "Buy Nothing Day" to the entire commercialization of Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never participated in Black Friday nor do I want to. I don't understand the need.

    I'm so happy you had such a wonderful time yesterday Mary...and that you are relaxing today. That is music to my ears Sister! :)

    Also...I'd never heard of Buy Nothing Day but I am going to promote it now to the friends of mine who do that sort of thing? It's good to know these things.

    Have a Peaceful Afternoon and Evening
    Sweet Mary Soul!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary! I, too, do not go anywhere on this ridiculous black friday. We stay home, either with football on, or some of the first Christmas movies of the season. Leftovers for dinner, and a nice, relaxed day. Tonight, though, is drum circle, so we will be enjoying that too. Wishing you a peaceful day, and weekend. Robin.

    ReplyDelete