Sunday, August 22, 2010

Just Another Ramble for sunday



The happy individual is able to renew daily and with full consciousness all the basic expressions of human identity: work, love, communication, play, and rest.--Robert Grudin

Last night as I had trouble falling asleep; I realized that this has been happening a lot lately.  Last night, my thoughts were on all the things I had to do today. "Ah, there's ironing to do,"  "Hair to wash, nails to do,"...and on and on.   On weeknights,   I usually find myself ruminating about all that I have to do.  "What I am going to do with all this paperwork? How am to complete it?", "How will I ever be able finish up all that work?", "Oh gosh, another intake.  How do I fit him into my schedule?" "What if...How...?   "What should I cook tomorrow?"  "What shall I buy at the store?" 

These and questions like them seem to be always popping up in our minds; we are always planning ahead.  Planning ahead is good; don't get me wrong.  But, too much planning, and we find that we are forgetting to live for today...and when we forget to live for today, we miss out on so much of the magic that surrounds us.

Whenever we start thinking too much about the future, we stop enjoying the present; hence, a lot of time which we could have enjoyed goes to waste in thinking and planning about the future...which, by the way, rarely happens in the exact way we plan it. And when we dwell on our What if's", we miss out on the thousands of small moments of happiness that we could have smiled and relaxed...and all because we had been too busy in shaping up our future plans.

He who does not get fun and enjoyment out of every day needs to reorganize his life. - George Matthew Adams




The truth of life is that all we have is today. Yesterday is only a memory, and tomorrow will never come...it will always be today...Hard to fathom for many of us.  I have so much trouble just letting go and letting life be... but I am working on it. Take time each day to stop all your activity and be thankful for each moment by recognizing its importance to your life. Celebrate the fact that you are alive and can see the wonder contained within each moment of your life. Become aware. Seek the beauty of each event and allow the majesty of your life to be known. That is a lesson I am still in the process of learning.

The past is history. 
The future is a mystery. 
The only time we really have is now - just this moment.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful message. :0)
    I'm inhaling the fresh air ...long deep breaths of cool fresh air.
    Hope that air is where you are for you to enjoy.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to be so bad about planning my days. Everything was planned! And goodness if everything didn't get done, the stress would mount. A few years ago I tried to quit planning and for the most part it has worked, things seem to fall more into place without that plan. The stress level is almost nothing. A terrific post Mary!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete