Friday, September 20, 2019

Friday Roundup

Ah, Friday.  This has been a VERY busy week, and I am so looking forward to a little downtime. Monday was the picnic.  If there weren't so many lines to stand in, it would have been a really fun day.  But the lines--first the line to get in, then the line for drinks, then the line for food, and finally the line for dessert.  Gosh I think we spent over half of our time standing in one line or another.

Tuesday was a much better experience.  The Barn Dance Party, and I had so much fun.  When I was young and still in New Jersey every weekend we went up to this place called Happy Time Barn.  Along with the regular jitterbug of the day, we also did square dancing.  I loved it and haven't done it in almost 50 years.  Thrilled that my back held up for it.

My friend from jewelry class.  She brought me a hat to wear as well, but my head was too small for any of them.  

This is the other side of the room.  I think it shows the ugly paint job very well.

Judy and Maureen.

Lunch was awesome.  Boneless beef short ribs so tender you could cut them with a fork, macaroni and cheese, and seasoned green beans.  Dessert was spumoni ice cream.  Yummy.

My friend Marie with the sunglasses.  She is 89 years old.  I love her.

Came home yesterday and found them working in the lot next door again. Don't know if they had a complaint because it was definitely a rat trap, or they are planning on starting to build. Well, they were working there yesterday, too. Not digging holes, but working there. There are no new permits aside from the demolition permit. I checked online and it still says demolition only so it appears they don't have a permit to build. But I am still going to skip out on jewelry making today and head home to make some phone calls to clarify things. Hoping there is no permit. I've been dreading this.

I'd been hoping to move before a building went up and blocked all my daylight and air, but now I lose my SCRIE (rent freeze)  if I move into affordable housing so it's darned if you do and darned if you don't. Sigh.

Have a wonderful weekend.

15 comments:

  1. I understand you being upset about the possibility of more building. They call it growth; I call it greed. We have been fighting it here for years but I know it will eventually happen. It is very hard to win against the money people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with housing in such short supply they allow them to tear down housing and build these monstrous buildings for offices and such.

      Delete
  2. You have some wonderful friends with their smiling faces.
    The food did look tasty.
    I hope that after you check into the permit again that it isn't a building going in but something minor...not a building.
    Wishing you the best Mary~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a building for sure. Been on the phone since I got home.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you had such a fine time. And worry for and with you about surreptitious building. I suspect if they DID start to build illegally their wrist would be slapped (gently). I would be very surprised if the work they did was torn down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. There is definitely something fishy next door.

      Delete
  4. Sound like a wonderful center and lot of activity.
    And I can't recall when I had a entire weekend and just stayed home.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. Taking today indoors, but definitely going to make it to the Farmer's Market tomorrow. It's only open on Sunday and I have been trying so long to get there.

      Delete
  5. Your center...even with the paint job you don’t like seems like an awesome place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful happy place. I had gone to another center and all they did was argue about seats, gossip. and play cards and bingo. No fun things.

      Delete
  6. Good for you! Sounds like you had a great time! I hope no building on the lot next door! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time....and my back didn't hurt at all.

      Delete
  7. So pleased you had a great time, it looks a happy place.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete