Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Origami and a Bit of Japanese Tradition

Boy, is it ever cold outside.  Yesterday we had our first snow of the season.   Nothing really major, but enough to make it slippery, so I took it quite slow when I went out.  I wasn't going to miss art class, but when I got there I discovered that the teacher was ill and not coming.  

My Japanese friend was there though , so we both took out our origami, and she began teaching me.   It's a lot harder than I thought it was.  The first thing she taught me was how to make the crane which is a symbol of luck and longevity to Japanese people. Not very good, but it's only my first try.  




We got to talking so much that actually we didn't get much done.  I'd ask her how her holiday was and she began explaining old Japanese traditions to me.  So fascinating.  She said they don't celebrate Christmas although the more Americanized do.  New Years is the big event for them, and there are certain foods that 'must' be eaten, each dish serving as a symbol or wish for the coming year. 

Some of the foods  include black beans (as a symbol of health during the coming year), some type of tiny fish, including head and eyes (symbolize a bountiful harvest), an egg dish which symbolizes prosperity, red and white fish cakes (red for happiness and white for purity, a mixture of sweet potatoes and chestnuts  symbolizes prosperity and some type of long, skinny noodles which symbolize long life.   She mentioned a few more, but I can't remember them.  Oh, I almost forgot, at breakfast on January 1st they 'must' drink saki which is also  believed to ensure a long life.

I love learning about the different cultures, their traditions, and customs they have passed on down through the ages.  It definitely was NOT a wasted trip.  I look forward to learning more.


Last night I made some pork cutlets on my grill pan.  I'm still learning, but they were pretty tasty.  Still haven't taken my Crock pot out of the box.  Probably will begin using it this weekend. 

Well, that's about it. I'm off to get ready for my appointment with the eye doctor.  Have a good one....and stay warm.

3 comments:

  1. Practice makes perfect! At Hiroshima, we saw untold thousands of origami cranes made by school children all over the world to commemorate the victims and pray for peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stay warm....too....dear lady.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a crane to me. :0)
    If it looks like a crane, it is a crane!
    Using ones mind and hands is so rewarding.
    Enjoy!
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete