Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday This and That



I Dream This Day of Wondrous Things,
of Peace and Hope and Pride.
I Dance My Dance with Life Today,
I'm Filled with Love Inside.

Jonathan Lockwood Huie

I had a nice weekend.  The weather was great, and I was able to get out and about with ease.  With the warmer temperatures and the rain, the huge piles of ice are a thing of the past....for now, at least.  They are predicting more snow on Wednesday, not sure how much, but as the weatherman put it "plowable snow".  

My goodness, how the days seem to run into each other when one retires! I got up early Saturday morning and turned on my favorite morning news station, but some paid advertisement for arthritis cream came on instead.  Thinking I pushed the wrong button, I pushed '5' again.  Still the same thing. Now I am beginning to get upset.  Did Cablevision take the station off the air like other cable companies do?  Why else would they not be on?  Why else??? And then it hit me. It wasn't on because it was Saturday, and this is a Monday-Friday show. Talk about being disoriented.

 On Saturday I went to the supermarket, and on Sunday I went to church.  Afterwards, I stopped at the little shop across the street and picked up some rose and lavender incense.  Hubby doesn't like it, so as soon as he leaves, I light up. For a long time he didn't like scented candles.  Well, actually he didn't like candles at all.  His mom had taught him that candles and incense guide bad spirits to the home. Odd, because she was a devout Catholic and candles and incense have always been a part of the rites.

I met with the nutritionist on Friday.  I liked her, and she was pleasant enought, but she really didn't tell me anything more than what I already knew.  I know how to read labels...been reading them regularly since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure.  I also know how to limit my sodium intake.  My problem is that although I know what to do, I don't do it.  Oh, for awhile I had it all down pat and was doing well with my diet, but  somewhere along the way I totally lost control again and found myself eating whatever and whenever I wanted, even when I am not hungry.  I had lost 12 pounds, and now I have gained that back and then some.


We spoke at length about the stress in my life and discussed eating as a means of comfort when one is depressed.  She suggested that maybe I might need to speak with a mental health professional.  My uncontrollable eating habits may be a sign that something else is going on.  After all, much has happened to me within a year--a cancer scare (still have to have cat scans every so many months to make sure there are no changes), high blood pressure, retirement, financial difficulties, etc.  Sometimes we just need someone to talk to.  She told me then about her father and how shortly after his retirement he became depressed for the first time in his life.


Speaking of Friday, it was such a strange morning, cold and damp, yet very inviting.  A mist permeated the area, and one could not see the bus from a block away. The mist is so mysterious and magical--and rare in Brooklyn-- that wanted to savor it as long as I could, so after I saw the nutritionist I headed for the park rather than go directly home. I felt as if I were walking 'between worlds', and despite the chill in the air, I sat on the bench and savored the feeling of the soft, cool mist on my face. 

Oh my goodness, time sure is flying this morning.  Didn't realize how late it was getting.  It's time to take a shower and mosey on out to the Center. Hoping you all have a great start to a new week.


Life is a song - sing it.
Life is a game - play it.
Life is a challenge - meet it.
Life is a dream - realize it.
Life is a sacrifice - offer it.
Life is love - enjoy it.

 Sai Baba

3 comments:

  1. I think seeing a therapist isn't such a bad thought. Look what you've gone through and transitions are really difficult. Have compassion for yourself, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nutritionist has a point about being depressed, Mary. Your stress has definitely been visible in your blog. It may be that a few months of therapy will help you find a place of peace as the external stresses sort themselves out and you begin to live without them...which is not easy to do, weird as that sounds! Do one good, healthy hing for yourself every day and that will help too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all have done that Saturday TV thing. ;0)
    Those of us that have retired that is.
    You are not alone in the gaining weight department. :0(
    I know what I need to do, BUT!
    Have wedding coming up in Ed's family and 2 of his daughters that I haven't met will be there and I hate myself. So wanted to wear that new red size 12 dress I bought over a year ago when I fit in it to wear for a special occasion.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete