Monday, February 17, 2014

Monday Morning This and That

When the snow is still blowing against the window-pane in
January and February and the wild winds are howling without,
what pleasure it is to plan for summer that is to be. 

Celia Thaxter 

Happy President's Day, and to those who have a long weekend...enjoy.

This is the beginning of a new day, a new week.  The forecast calls for warmer weather this week.  Sure will be a pleasing change of pace.  Maybe this week I can actually get to the Center. I was laying out clothes last evening when hubby reminded me that today is a holiday. I am reminded of how I loved these little three day weekends while I was working, but now, since I retired, I feel a wee bit disappointed. It would have been nice to get out and mingle for awhile.

One can only sit in so much before they go stir crazy.  I did get dressed on Sunday to go to Church, but once I saw that the crosswalks were still pretty slippery and slushy,  I headed back home. I am still not sure if I will make it to the Center today.  Haven't checked up front yet. Sometimes I wonder if I am becoming too fearful. Perhaps I am overdoing it. There was a time that nothing bothered me.  I didn't care what kind of weather I headed out in.  But, now that I am older, I have become so afraid of falling that I have made myself a virtual prisoner in my own home. 



Made a huge pot of chicken and rice soup for dinner yesterday. It tasted so good if I do say so myself. I love making soups because there is always room for experiment. I tend to just gather whatever is handy and toss it all into a pot and simmer. For the above soup, I purchased a package of legs and thighs, simmered them for two hours in water with no sodium chicken broth, onions, celery, carrots, peas, parsley, parsnips, garlic, black pepper, McCormick's roasted garlic and bell peppers plus their garlic and herb seasoning, a wee bit of tomato sauce, and rice.

I don't think I told you.  Hubby's nightmare with SSD continues.  Supposedly it was all straightened out when he went for his appointment last week, and he was told that his retroactive money should be in the bank within the next two weeks.  Evidently it wasn't taken care of because he received a letter dated February 12 saying that he needs to come and bring his payee.  Now he has to head over to the office again tomorrow morning.  The man doesn't need a payee.  Yes, he has emphysema, but he is not an invalid....and he does not have mental illness. He can handle his own checks. Between his issues and mine, I wonder if this nightmare will ever end.

I am getting so anxious for Spring.  As soon as I am able to get out and about I plan to hit the 99 cent store for some Spring things--a flowery tablecloth, some nice planters, dainty doilies, etc.  I have spent the weekend visualizing how bright and inviting my apartment will be when I am done with it. Just can't wait to throw open the windows and let the fresh air in. Ah Spring, beautiful Spring.  

They are predicting that by next weekend he temperature will rise into the 50's.  I can't wait.  But, alas, first we must get through tomorrow.  More snow on the way. (Sigh) They say we got more snow this year than Minneapolis and Ankorage, Alaska. Yes, it has been a long hard winter, but light is on its way. I think the following poem sums it up well.

Wearily waiting for spring! patience is almost gone;
The winds sigh coldly and drearily over the land forlorn;
The trees with outstretched arms standing naked and bare,
Patiently waiting for spring to clothe them, beauty-fair.

Silently waiting for spring! down in their earthly bed. 
The tender flowers are longing to lift their bright young heads; 
The running burn moves sadly through leafless bramble boughs, 
An answering voice of gladness vainly it seeks to arouse.

Longingly waiting for spring! the fading children of earth
Look with a hopeful smile for nature's coming birth;
They dream of a life revived, and raise the drooping head. 
As if they fain would catch the first sound of her tread.

Fearfully waiting for spring! for the silent form and voice,
That in her glorious beauty will never more rejoice; 
And like a rushing torrent fond mem'ries will awake, 
As spring-time breathes again o'er hearts that well-nigh break.

Joyfully waiting for spring ! the heart of youth would fain 
With happy beaming eyes welcome spring again;
 Bringing fresh hopes and pleasures, breathing no sorrow or blight, 
Winging them onward with her through all her happy flight.

Peacefully waiting for spring! mind and body at rest,
Lying with folded hands over a passionless breast; 
Unheeding the raving blasts and the cold wintry day, 
Awaiting the last spring-time, never to pass.

M.C.W.


3 comments:

  1. Mmmm, that soup sure looks good. Sorry to hear your husband's problems continue with those crazy pension people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes!! Spring! Warm weather and long walks!! Being happy again! I 've had it with the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, It must be hard to get used to retirement during a Winter that leaves you housebound! I always remind people who are having a hard time dealing with all the free time, that it takes a while to adjust and embrace a different type of life. When I was a stay at home mom after being employed full time, I remember wondering if I could do it - such a different life. But after a while I started to wonder how other mom's did it - working and being at home. It just became a way of life, a busy way of life. I too am having a bit of a hard time being home but I know that little by little my days will be filled with things I couldn't do before. I'm catching up with my reading too ! Hang in there my friend! PS have you read the book Kindling the Celtic Spirit by Mara Freeman? It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete