Thursday, February 27, 2014

In Search of Magic

Magic exists. Who can doubt it, when there are rainbows and wildflowers, the music of the wind and the silence of the stars? Anyone who has loved has been touched by magic. It is such a simple and such an extraordinary part of the lives we live.

Nora Roberts


Good morning. Not much to talk about today. I've come down with a wee bit of writer's block this morning. The temperature has shot down below freezing, and I am not looking forward to standing out there waiting for the bus, but I am not going to allow the cold to keep me in. Yesterday I even ventured out in the snow because I have made the decision not to let the winter control me. Oh, I will definitely stay in when it is icy, but yesterday was no huge storm....and I kind of enjoyed standing out there in the snow. Even here in the city there is something so magical about it.

Speaking of magic. Every time I re-read the Avalon series I become obsessed with one thing or the other. The first two times I became obsessed with identifying the various incarnations of the characters. For example, Deoris of "The Fall of Atlantis" incarnates into Morgaine in "The Mists". She has several other incarnations in the series, but I am not going to reveal anymore. I am not going to play spoiler. 

This time it is magic.  Along with the storyline about the two sisters,  "The Fall of Atlantis" is about magic and magical rites.  I believe in magic.  It is happening all around us! It can be found in the rising and setting of the Sun and in the cyclic sweep of the seasons.  As a Druid, I am aware of the magic of nature that engages me every day.  I light candles, I pray, I honor the ancestors....all a type of magic.  


Lately I have been restless.  I am wanting to begin learning again.  This time, I want to learn more about magic.  John Michael Greer, the Arch Druid of AODA (Ancient Druids of America) has a wonderful book out that has been calling to me, "The Celtic Golden Dawn: An Original and Complete Curriculum of Druid Study" which goes deeper into Druid studies than what I had with NOD (New Order of Druids).  Do I want to do it on my own?  Or do I want to join AODA and take courses through them? Or do I want something else?  Ah, decisions, decisions.  

I once read a book which spoke of the seven cycles of the year, and the last cycle before one's birthday is one of restlessness and yearnings for the new.  My birthday is next month.  Is that what's going on?  Tune in for further developments.

Wishing you all a great day.

2 comments:

  1. "Anyone who has loved has been touched by magic." Beautiful and true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that you want to learn more! And i think whichever way you decide to do it will be fun. And yes, love is indeed magic! :)

    ReplyDelete