Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday Morning This and That

"If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant."

  Anne Bradstreet

As Monday morning rolls around I find that each day I move closer to feeling my old normal self.  Last week I was really busy, and after sitting in and moping for so long, it felt so good to have my energy and enthusiasm returning.  The snow and ice had pretty much melted, and the temperatures stabilized for a bit so I took advantage of the situation and  made it to the Center three times last week, did my food shopping, and all of my banking.  Bills have been paid, and we enter the month of February filled with hope. The weather this weekend was fantastic. It was so springlike.  What a perfect weekend to celebrate Imbolc.

Since Imbolc is a time of new beginnings, I spent most of the afternoon clearing out some of the old things that were no longer needed and did nothing but clutter my home and my life.  I bagged up the old clothes, the costume jewelry I had outgrown, and some of my household knicknacks and took them to the dropbox. It seems that as much as I declutter, there is always more that has to go. (Sigh) How did I get so much stuff?  Years of refusing to 'let go' is the answer. 

Later, I freshened up my altar.  Mine is not your usual altar.  It contains my collection of Mary's, Mary Magdalene, Our Lady of Lourdes, white candles, a piece of jade, Holy Water, precious stones, a goddess paperweight,  and the Dove of Peace.  Later I planted some mint.  That's a pretty easy herb to grow. 

Of course, we had a feast.  Lamb is a traditional Imbolc dish, but it is priced out of my range, so instead, I made garlic pork chops, baked potato with sour cream (sour cream symbolizes the ewes lactating milk), fresh brocolli, beets, and for desert, strawberries with whipped cream. 


 I must say, these were the sweetest strawberries I have ever tasted. (Yes, I did get a wee bit carried away with the whipped cream, but it is something I cannot resist.)


Sunday morn I headed out to Church where they celebrated 'The Presentation of Jesus at the Temple".  This day is also known as Candlemas.  The service began with a candle-lit procession followed by a blessing of the candles.  They even chose my favorite hymn for the procession, "All the Ends of the Earth". I wish I could record that man's voice for you.  When he sings, the hairs on my arm actually stand up. It was a lovely service.  When I went home, I baked some Irish soda bread in honor of the goddess, Brighid.  It's the first time I made it in 30 years.  Can't believe it has been that long. I enjoyed it, but hubby is not too fond of raisins. 


Later it was preparation for the coming week--laying out clothes, nails, shampoo--followed by some quiet time for reading....which brings us to this morning....

... And so we come to this morning. SNOW????? Again?  What's up with that?   

Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will.

  Helen Hunt Jackson

'A Calendar of Sonnet's: February'












3 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful altar, Mary, my friend, and I'm so glad you've been having more energy lately. For me, B-12 helps me a great deal as for giving me more energy.

    ReplyDelete