Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Again?????


Nature looks dead in winter because her life is gathered into her heart. She withers the plant down to the root that she may grow it up again fairer and stronger. She calls her family together within her inmost home to prepare them for being scattered abroad upon the face of the earth. 

 Hugh Macmillan
 "Rejuvenescence," 
The Ministry of Nature, 1871


This is the winter that doesn't want to go away.  Every once in awhile it will throw in a tease, only to come back with a vengeance...and this time, it definitely came back with a vengeance.  Ice is pelting the AC this morning.  If it all holds true, it will be three winter storms in a week, and Sunday's storm looks to be a doozy.  So far, they are counting it in feet, not inches.  

Today  I plan to stay in. Way too slippery out there this morning. On Monday, determined not to become a shut-in again, I struggled and made my way to the Center.  It was open, yes, but there was no one there.  Not even enough people to get a Bingo game together.  All we did is gather in one of the television rooms and watch game shows.  I could have done that at home and stayed dry.  So, today I will just stay in and relax...again.  I'll make some barbecue sauce and toss some ribs in the oven, mash some garlic potatoes, and cook up a veggie.  Tomorrow I should be able to get out again.  

My concern is the next storm.  If it's like they say, I'll be housebound for a week.  Hopefully it just blows over.  I've my doctor's appointment on Tuesday morning, and I really don't want to miss it.  Despite eating healthy, I NEED my medication.  Too much is going on right now for me to alleviate all stress,  and I have to do whatever I can to keep my blood pressure down.  

I am thankful, though, that this time I have a computer to keep me occupied.  I'll not be cut off from my friends with nothing to do but worry like I did the last time.  I can take the course I was interested in, check in with my friends, and play my computer games.  And, just knowing that Spring is around the corner makes it all the more bearable. 

Don't get me wrong.  I actually LOVE winter. I would love to lie down and make a snow angel or have a snowball fight with a friend.  I enjoy bundling up and feeling the crisp, cold air against my face.  Winter has a clean smell. There is a freshness that abounds.  And, I have so many fond memories of the snow, but now, as I grow older, I fear it.  I fear slipping on an icy patch, and despite the law, people just don't shovel like they should.

Oh, gosh, I have to tell you this one.  I found a new cure-all.  Last night I woke in the middle of the night with shoulder pain. When one grows older there is always an ache or pain somewhere.  I couldn't sleep.  Tossed and turned, and no matter how I lay, that shoulder hurt.  So I got up and made my way into the bathroom.  I know where the pain creams are kept so I didn't even turn on the light.  I just grabbed one and rubbed it on.  It stung a wee bit when it hit my skin, but I didn't think anything of it.  Besides, it took the pain away.

So, I went back to bed and slept for a few more hours.   When I got up, I went into the bathroom to splash some water on my face.  As I reached for my towel, I glanced at the shelf and discovered that the pain cream I had rubbed on was actually the new toothpaste that hubby had bought for his dentures.  What can I say?  It worked. 

Everyone have a great day. Be safe.

Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments,
embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.

John Boswell

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Mary......try and stay warm and dry during all these storms you guys are having. Toothpaste, you say, perhaps you have discovered a new cure for aches and pains.

    xo

    Jo

    BTW.....what course are you taking...is it online perchance? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you have a computer now Mary, so that you can keep in touch with the outside world during the next storms. We humans are definitely social creatures and need that contact for our good health! :) But be careful if you do decide to go out!

    Hm.. toothpaste, eh? lol. I'll keep that in mind the next time my right knee hurts.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard a dab of tooth paste on a face pimple clears it up, but being that I am past that stage , your cure is more up my alley.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Toothpaste?!?!
    I m sorry you had back problems all your life! I hope your shoulder feels better!
    By the way I erased all my incoming comments by mistake(blogging from my phone again!), I m sorry for that!
    What is it you mentioned? Yuca? I have never heard of it!! I ll try to find some...

    ReplyDelete