Monday, May 7, 2012

A Wish for You on Monday

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward.

Spanish Proverb




Now two of my herbs are sprouting.  Ask me what they are at this point, and I couldn't tell you.  The sprouts of the third herb are just beginning to push through the soil.  I sure do wish I had saved the seed packages so I would know what I am dealing with here.  At any rate, fresh herbs are on their way.  The Sweat Peas are not doing as well.  No signs of any life there.  I was so hoping for lovely flowers.  I did plant the seeds of  Chinese Forget-me-Not's that I had bought on the way home from work the other day.  I'd been told they only grow outdoors, but in a sunny window, who knows.

This was a much-needed weekend of rest and relaxation. I had planned on heading on out to the 99-cent store, but chose instead to stay in my jammies. We're short-handed at work now, and my already heavy workload has added on a few pounds--two extra groups per week. That two hours really cuts down on the time one has for paperwork, and in the past, I'd spend my weekends on the computer playing catch up, but I'll be darned if I do that now. How can one be so foolish than to approve a six week vacation knowing that you are already down two staff members--one who went to another job and another whose school internship was up?

Anyone lucky enough to catch sight of the moon?  Our weather was so dreary and cloudy, I didn't even venture out to catch a glimpse.  I knew there would be nothing to see, but there were other ways to celebrate. It was a night of candles, soft music, and quality time with my cat and my hubby, until he retired to watch boxing.  We spend so little quality  time with each other; instead, each of us is glued to our own televisions, books,  or hobbies whenever we are home.  And quality time spent together is oh, so important in a relationship.

In the early days of our relationship, we used to spend lots of quality time together.  I think he and I must have walked this entire city at one point or another. We were always heading out to different places just to walk and see the sights.  Anyone who saw us would have thought we were tourists.  But then, as we grew older, I guess you can say we became complacent with our lives. Work, our children, chores, all seemed to take precedent. 

Time spent together is special, and although we were both in the same place, our apartment, we were not really 'together'. He'd be in one room in front of the television and I'd be in another either on my computer, reading my Kindle, or watching a Law and Order marathon. Why, we never even eat together anymore. Well, I decided this weekend that enough was enough.  And, although we may not be able to walk as we once did, there is no reason why we cannot enjoy the totality of each other's company...even if only a quiet meal together once a week.  

Well, it turned out wonderfully relaxing.  After a meal of short ribs, rice, beans, and salad, we talked.  There was so much to be shared, so many 'remember when's', forgotten things that had happened long ago.  My only regret was that I had planned to take a short walk under the moon, but, nature had other ideas.  Rain is so needed, so I'll not complain. And, with that, I''ll leave you this morning with a little wish I found online.  

Today I wish you a day of ordinary miracles --
A fresh pot of coffee you didn't make yourself.
An unexpected phone call from an old friend.
Green stoplights on your way to work or shop.

I wish you a day of little things to rejoice in --
The fastest line at the grocery store.
A good sing along song on the radio.
Your keys right where you look.

I wish you a day of happiness and perfection --
Little bite-size pieces of perfection that give you the funny feeling 
That the Lord is smiling on you,
Holding you so gently because you are someone special and rare.
I wish You a day of Peace, Happiness and Joy.

Remember to Make the Time TODAY,
To do something Special for a Total Stranger.

--Unknown--

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. It's so tempting when you only have so much free time, to try to squeeze too much into in and no time for rest. The dollar store can wait - you're time was much more well-spent! It is so important to stay connected with your partner and remind each other why you are together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet the majority of us are oh so GUILY about complacity....thinking there will be "other tomorrows."
    Even when circumstances affect our lives....we soon forget and get back in our same old pattern.
    Have a wonderful week Mary. (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed the Moon because I was watching my grand-girlies , they kept me busy and i forgot all about it .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, your seeds are sprouting wonderfully! As to the sweet peas...did you soak them first before planting? They do take some time to germinate. We did see the Super Moon, even with some small clouds now and then. It was quite bright and I was able to place some tools out to charge, as well as water. Good for you for taking time to spend time talking and being with your hubby. So important to get out of the rut. Time is the best gift we can give our spouses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you spent some quality time with hubby -- how lovely! We didn't see the Super Moon here either -- too overcast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you didn't get to see the Full Moon, but otherwise, you had a lovely weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post...the hubby & I try to spend some time each day with each other...coffee in the morning supper...even though we do our own thing it is important to spend a few minutes of quality time together...your right we get too complacent over the years...glad your weekend was so special...nice reading about it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that proverb, and I thank you so much for the wish!

    My wife and I took a long walk together in the wind today, and it was very peaceful with each step we took.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wish for you is more quality time spent with hubby, easy walks to and from work, more time at the ocean, and time to ponder...

    You are a Jewel Mary and your post is lovely!

    Radiant Blessings my Sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary, hubby and I talked about that very intimacy on our recent road trip. We had such a good time and felt so very close to each other, although, like you, we are together but doing our own things at home. We're determined to do little getaways, even for a day, much more often. It's so important to connect deeply with the one you love and cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that every marriage hits those patches where each person does their own thing. The key is to come back together while maintaining your own "thing". Not easy, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete