Thursday, May 17, 2012

Remembering Our Blessings

When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light,
for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food and the joy
of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself.

Tecumseh
As I was readying myself to get out of the house this morning I was thinking, "Oh, I am so tired of having to go."  Then, I began to drag  myself down with my negative thoughts...dreading the long walk to work, coming home so late, the noise and lack of boundaries at my job, etc.  It just seemed like everything was bothering me today.  It was then I sat down for a few moments, took a few deep breaths, and, as I have done before when the negativity begins to take control, reminded myself of all the blessings that have come from my little job. 

I began to think of all those who got up this morning to pound the pavement looking for a job, hoping that today they will find one.  And then I thought of those who wish they could go to work today, but have disabilities that confine them to their homes. Finally, there are those who didn't get up this morning. And, suddenly, my little job didn't seem so bad as I realized how truly blessed I am.

My grandma always used to say, "remember, there is always somebody who's worse off than you are". When I hear this statement, it reminds me of years ago when I slipped out three discs in my back while trying to plunge a bathtub. (Don't ask me how.)
The pain was horrific, and  I couldn't make it down the block without grabbing onto a pole to take some of the weight off my leg. Then, one day, when I went to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription, there was a rather happy-go-lucky man who was already waiting there. The pharmacist was very slow, and I was feeling pretty miserable as I waited. As we waited, we got to talking and when I began to cry about the shooting pain in my leg, he told me, "I can empathize with you. I have it in both legs". Somehow, my pain did not seem so bad anymore.

So, whenever I begin feeling sorry for myself, I take a step back and look at the situation. I think of that man and how much more he had been suffering, yet still had concern for others. I always try to remember that I am not the only one who has trouble in my life, for there is always someone somewhere who's worse off than me. That's true for all of us. So, rather than wasting time focusing on what is so wrong with our lives, we have to express gratitude for the blessings that we do have in our lives.


6 comments:

  1. Good philosophy and encouraging words. Well written post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice. Not always easy to put in practice though. :-)

    But... That's the trouble with lots of good advice... ,-)

    "If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales
    and I like them best of all."


    ~~Audrey Hepburn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good reminder for me today to love what is, instead of what isn't. I'm moving out of my beloved house tomorrow and instead of looking at it like an overwhelming chore and sorrow about leaving, I could look on it as an adventure and to thank my blessings, that I really like my apt. and so many people have no shelter or food. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is POWERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, that's so very true. It's important to put our lives in perspective. I do allow myself a pity party once in a while, but only for a short period of time. I figure I have a right to this attention too, but not for too long as others need to be acknowledged and helped as well.

    We are all in this together. Some of us in deeper than others!

    ReplyDelete