Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Tuesday Book Review

Tuesday  greetings.  Three day weekend is over, and I am headed back to the center today. Didn't do much of anything over the weekend.  Shopping on Saturday, cooking on Sunday, and yesterday, well aside from making some beans and rice, I did pretty much nothing.  I slept late, went through my new recipe books, and read quite a bit of When We Were Vikings."  In fact, I hated to put it down.


The main character of the book is Zelda, a 21 year old woman who was born with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.  She lives with her brother, Gert.  I'm not sure what happened to her dad, but her mom died of cancer.  The two of them went to live with an uncle who turned out to be a pervert who was trying to get in Zelda's pants.  Gert and the uncle fought, and Gert took Zelda to an apartment he found on the bad side of town.  It's a struggle for Gert to make ends meet and provide Zelda with all she needs, including sessions with Dr, and socialization at the community, and he meets a few shady characters and begins selling drugs.  

As you may guess by the title, Zelda is obsessed Vikings--their legends, loyalty, courage-- and sees herself as a modern day Viking with a sacred duty to protect her tribe which includes Gert, AK47 There is a set of 'rules' in the house that must be followed--fist bumps and jabs mean respect, a smile means thank you, strangers not appreciated, tomatoes must go in the middle of the sandwiches so the bread doesn't get wet. Her 'tribe' consists of Gert, AK47 who has an on and off relationship with Gert, her boyfriend Marxy, (although a male she thinks of him as her fair maiden),  her therapist Dr. Laird, and her friends at the community center.   

This is really a great read.  I love the characters and although tragic, I have laughed allowed at some of the things Zelda comes out with at the most inappropriate times. For example, when Gert is stopped for going through two stop signs, Zelda gets out of the car and tells the officer, "My brother is a shit-heel who doesn't like to talk about sex."  This after announcing at a dinner party that she wants to have sex with Marxy and has her period.  These are such great and realistic characters.  Haven't finished the book yet, but I am sure it will take me awhile to find another as good as this one.

This is one of my new cookbooks....like I need more.  Just can't resist and I love the Mediterranean diet.

I also love Middle Eastern foods.  They do share some similarities to Mediterranean foods.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book! It's always a tip-off when you can't put it down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cook books look interesting and tasty.
    I love getting lost in a good book and get away from reality for awhile.
    I'd say you had a very productive and pleasant three day weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fan of Mediterranean cooking also. I haven’t tried too much in the way of Middle Eastern because some of the spices do not appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading through cookbooks. In some of the older ones, the recipes and advise are funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A book you can't put down is ALWAYS a winner.
    I share your love of Middle Eastern foods. I really, really like the spice combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like reading cookbooks...and some of the older ones are really unusual and fascinating. My mother used to have a "Mrs. Beeton's" cookery book from the 1920's or 30's. It was brilliant - and quite amusing in places!😉
    I have never tried Middle Eastern foods. Maybe now is the time to try some!😊😊

    Have a lovely day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of those cook books, especially the Mediterranean one.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, I'm glad to see that you're still blogging my friend.

    It's great finding a good book to read, I find it so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just stopping by … hoping all is well.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete