Saturday, February 8, 2020

Saturday Return.

Saturday morning greetings.  I know, I have been among the missing.  I do apologize.  I have really been having a rough time of it.  It seems I picked up a bad tummy but, and when I say bad, I mean bad.  It started on Friday, 3 weeks ago.  I went to bed with lots of painful gas, and when I was just about to fall asleep, I had an episode of explosive diarrhea.  It followed with a couple more episodes, the latter of which I was unable to make it to the toilet in time.  Sorry for being gross.

Finally the imodium kicked in, and I was able to sleep a bit.  Woke up with the same tummy pain and gas.  Had to go shopping so I took more imodium.  The same tummy cramping all week, and I took more imodium.  I didn't want to sit home and think about how sick I was so the imodium got me through the days at the center.  It's hard pretending you are fine, but you really aren't. 

All came to a head Friday a week ago when the imodium could no longer protect me, and the explosive diarrhea began again.  This time it was so watery.  4 episodes in 45 minutes, the last one again I didn't make it.  Time for the doctor.  I really thought it was my IBS out of control.

Well, it turns out I had picked up some kind nasty bug, and I was only prolonging it by using the imodium on a daily basis.  The bug had to come out of me, but I was holding it back and for a full week it was growing.  No more imodium.  Lots of water, crackers, dry toast.  No spices.  In essence, no food.

Well, I am happy to say I am on the mend.  Doctor gave me permission to eat again on Thursday morning and after a horrible bout with painful gas Thursday night (which probably came from the return of fiber) I have been on the mend slowly and steadily.  Wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone.

On a plus side, I was only 4 pounds over goal when weighed at the doctor's office.  It also opened my eyes to the way I have been abusing my body lately eating things I shouldn't have been and now I am back to seeking my healthy self...which will include lots of vegetarian dishes.  I will be posting some tried and true recipes over time.

I'll close with a note of caution for all of you.  Beware of those pre-washed bagged salads.  That's the only thing I can trace mine back to, and I read an article that they have found lots of nasty bugs in these bags.  I was washing before using, but guess not good enough.

12 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you were so ill. I knew from your last post that you had become sick because of something you ate at the center. I was concerned that you may have caught that new virus or a similar one like the flu bug.
    It is so nice to see you here again.
    You were missed.
    Take care and recoup 💮

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a horrible time you have been having! Glad that nasty bug is gone now and you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry that you have been hit so hard - and glad you are on the mend.
    And yes, preprepared salads are known for hiding some awful things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How horrible that you were so ill. Glad you are feeling better. Congrats on the weight loss but know you didn't want to lose it that way. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Was a rough time, but glad to be on the mend.

      Delete
  5. I am so sorry to read you have been so ill … good to know that you are now on the mend.
    Give yourself time to get back to 100% these bugs take so much from our bodies.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tummy problems like the one you've been experiencing are the worst. Glad you are feel better.

    ReplyDelete