Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Tuesday Memories



Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence,
and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content.

Helen Keller
 
Today I would like to introduce you to two wonderful people, Aunt Ruth and Uncle Collis. We used to call him Harvey. Two wonderful people who I miss very much.  Couldn't really figure where she fit in the family tree until I got deeper into my granddad's genealogy.  She is his great neice.


This is my Aunt Ruth and Uncle Collis. They lived in Denville on a lake.  I remember they had a huge Chow.  He wasn't the kind of dog you wanted to get close to.  I do believe this is grandma's kitchen.  The door next to the refrigerator leads stairs to the basement on one side and to the backyard on the other.  I never liked to go outdoors this way because she kept chickens a few feet away, and they always chased me.  I was so afraid of them that I would go out the front door and go around to get in the backyard.


Aunt Ruth with grandpa.  This was at my house in Berkshire Valley.  We moved there when I was 18 years old.  Aunt Ruth was a special woman.  When I was a teenager she begged my mom to let me stay with her because she knew exactly what was going on in my home and knew I wasn't being raised properly, but my mom said no.  Wonder what life would have been like if mom had said yes instead.  But, everything happens for a reason, and it wasn't meant to be.


This picture was taken at my first home in Mine Hill. Funny the little things you remember.  I totally remember this outfit, and it you look closely, you will see a pimple on my chin.  I knew it was there even before I enlarged.  As a teenager I never really had acne, but I was prone to these painful cyst-like pimples that I could never keep my hands away from.  I was always picking at them making them so much more noticeable.  Can't believe I remember the pimple in this picture!!!

Uncle Collis's boat.  That's Uncle Collis, me, and my mom in the front seat.   Not sure who the little ones are in the back.  Can't believe that Uncle Collis used to allow me to drive this boat all alone.  Heck, I can't even swim but I used to whiz around this lake for hours.  Loved it.

And that's it for this week's memories.  Have a good one.

1 comment:

  1. Oh you are so lucky to have these photos of your family! Mine are treasured possessions. I hang them all together in one place. This is my "ancestor gallery." :)

    ReplyDelete