Friday, November 28, 2014

The Day After....




Thanksgiving is the holiday of
peace, the celebration of work
and the simple life. . . a true
folk-festival that speaks the
poetry of the turn of the seasons,
the beauty of seedtime and
harvest, the ripe product of
the year--and the deep, deep
connection of all these
things with God.

Ray Stannard Baker

Good morning.  Well, the holiday has come and gone.  Today I take down the autumn decor and decorate for Christmas.   I used to decorate the tree on Thanksgiving Day, but as I get older I don't have the energy to cook and decorate. 

The nurse came for her monthly visit on Wednesday.  She was not the same one as last month, and hopefully she will be my regular.  She was so pleasant that I was immediately put at ease. I had to ask, "Why are the sending me a nurse?"  Personally, I don't understand it.  Yes, I have health issues and chronic pain, but I do my own cooking, clean my own house, and am able to get out and about.  Her reply, "Because of your emergency room visit.  We want to make sure you stay healthy and out of the emergency room."  I like that Emblem does this.  It shows that there is some 'humanity' there, even though we all know that emergency rooms and hospital tests costs a lot more than a few prescriptions and doctor's visits.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Quality time with family.  Miss Minga drove me insane, of course.  She never naps on turkey day.  Just follows me every time I go to the kitchen and whines.  I sure do love her.


For dinner I served:
Turkey
Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Arroz Gondule (for hubby)
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Turnips
Roasted Broccoli
Greek Style Braised String Beans
Baby Spinach with garlic and oil
Baby Spinach/Arugula Salad with homemade Vinaigrette dressing
Cranberry Sauce
Fruit Cocktail and Cherry Dump Cake 

Notice I made a lot of veggies.  Took WW advice and filled most of my plate with veggies and salad and the rest with a small amount of those favorite foods that contribute to extra poundage.  Sent my boys home with bags of food, and left us with enough for some turkey sandwiches, a meal of leftovers, and my homemade turkey soup.

Well, that's about it for today.  Hoping your Thanksgiving was as happy as mine.

3 comments:

  1. Yum, look at that feast! I hope you slipped Miss Minga a special piece of juicy bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Mary.....wow....that really is a feast!! Ours was very simple this year....roast chicken (seems you don't have so much left over if you make this). Mashed potatoes with chicken gravy and cauliflower. My sweet soul mate is still limited in what he can digest so we have to keep it simple down here.

    Stay warm and well...I love it that your health care provider is being proactive in your care and that YOU are doing the same.

    xox

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's those words again, "turkey sandwich" :0(
    ;0)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete