Monday, November 10, 2014

Monday Morning This and That



I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think,
all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends
I want to see. The longer I live the more my mind dwells upon
the beauty and wonder of the world. I hardly know which feeling leads,
wonderment or admiration.

John Burroughs

Good morning, everyone.  Another Monday.  Another week begins.  We had some pretty cold weather over the weekend, but I loved it.  I'll take this over the heat anytime.  On Friday I headed out to the fruit stand and made out like a champ.  All this and more for under $35.  I have a great recipe for Sicilian Anneletti La Forno that I want to make when my son visits. 


Didn't do much over the weekend.  Everything is at the planning stage.  Went through my recipe books and came up with a fairly healthy menu for Thanksgiving.  Listed it in the little notebook I had purchased last year just for holiday planning.  Put in all the recipes and the ingredients needed.  Then went through my spices to see what I have and what I need to buy.  While I was at it, I ended up cleaning out the shelves where I keep my storage containers.  Funny, when things are tossed in haphazardly it looks like there is no more space, yet when organized there is always room for more.

Spent Saturday afternoon addressing my Christmas cards for the card swapping group.  I'd joined a Christmas group on Facebook, and we all decided we wanted to send each other cards for the holidays.  People just don't send holiday greetings by snail mail anymore, and we decided this would be a great way to fill our mailboxes.  I declined on gift and ornament exchanges.  I would have loved to participate, but I'm on a limited income these days and that's just not on my budget.  

One of my friends at church asked if I'd be interested in attending a Mary Kay party at her house.  To be honest, I didn't even think it was still around.  Many years ago I'd gotten involved with Mary Kay.  I saw that it was a great opportunity to start your own business, and I jumped on it.  I even fell for it when they told me how important it was for me to invest in a sampler kit and to have some products on hand for instant sales.  What instant sales?  I invested $200 which was a lot of money back then, and I didn't make a penny in return.

Things were different in those days.  It was before computers, and the only way to earn was to give parties at home.  I was with my ex back then, and it hadn't occurred to me that he wouldn't want me to succeed in that either.  I knew he was against my writing plays and did everything he could to discourage and intimidate me every time I sat down to write, but I always thought that that was because he was an actor with a huge ego who felt threatened by the fact that I might succeed in the entertainment field as well.  There was only room for one star in the household.

So, I never figured he would be against my little cosmetic business as well.  He threatened and raged to embarrass me if I tried to bring anyone into the house for a party.  That was HIS house, and he didn't want any of my friends eating HIS food and drinking HIS soda.  And on and on and on until I just chalked it up as another loss, and I ended up using all the sample products myself

It wasn't until I took my certification course in victims advocacy that I learned the real motive behind his actions.  Control.  It didn't matter what I did, or tried to do.  I just couldn't succeed at it.  He feared he would lose control.  He never realized that a few years down the road he was destined to lose that control anyway.  

Wishing you all a great day and a wonderful start to the new week.


1 comment:

  1. Good morning sweet Mary. I have finally gotten by to say hello to you. After reading your post.....yet again.....I realize how very much alike we both are. I, too, was going to be a Mary Kay representative. However....I went a little further than you and actually bought my inventory. Luckily...I got cold feet as I was really rather shy back then and my sponsor ended up giving me a refund....thank goodness. I can only imagine being stuck with boxes and boxes of makeup that I did not want and would never be able to sell. I would probably still be trying to get rid of the stuff. LOL LOL LOL

    Have a wonderful day....sounds like you have a great week planned.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete