Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday Morning This and That

 Mirth is God's medicine. Everybody ought to bathe in it. 

Henry Ward Beecher

Monday Greetings to all.  Hope your weekend was a good one.  Alas, mine was a busy one, but that means next weekend will be a free one, and that means, weather permitting, I will finally get out to Coney Island.  Saturday would have been a perfect day for it weatherwise, but it would have been too crowded for my comfort.  Hundreds of thousands of people were  amassing to watch the annual Mermaid Parade, one of the largest art parades in the nation.  I just didn't have it in me this year.  Not only do I get panicky when I find myself in a mob, but even moreso now that I am not as agile as I once was and can no longer stand for long periods at a time.


The Mermaid Parade of Coney Island began in 1983 as a celebration of the beginning of summer, the American version of the Summer Solstice celebration and ancient mythology. It usually takes place on the Saturday closest to the calendar start of summer. This year it just happened to fall on the Solstice. It is definitely quite a sight to behold with its 'marine' costumes, marching bands, antique cars, and occasional partial nudity. Some women let it all hang out. It seems that it is legal in New York State for women to be topless in public. 

 
These pictures are rather tame compared to some of them.  (Thank you Jim Smith for freely sharing the photos).



 A little more risque.



Wouldn't be a Coney Island parade without Nathan's. 


Went on a cooking binge this weekend.  Meat and poultry has gotten so expensive that I have been looking for different ways to make ground beef and chicken. Hubby will never be a vegetarian. First time I ever made Korean Beef, and it was delicious.  It will definitely be on the menu again.


Ingredients include Sesame oil, ground beef, 5 garlic cloves (minced), red pepper flakes, powdered ginger, low sodium soy sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Brown ground beef and minced garlic in about a tablespoon of Sesame oil. After cooked and browned add about 1/2 cup of soy sauce, 1/4 cup brown sugar, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste. I added about 1/4 cup water for a gravy sauce. Cover and simmer. Serve over white rice and garnish with green onions.

I served this with Sweet Baby Carrots.  


Boil carrots and drain.  While draining add 1/2 cup salt free butter, 3 tablespoons of honey, and about a half a cup of brown sugar.  Melt butter and simmer with honey and brown sugar.  Add the carrots and coat well.


I did it again.  Couldn't resist.  I don't even know where I am going to put her. I've decided that the only way for me to stop buying is not to carry any money with me when I go to church.

Well, not much more to say this morning.  Have to go in and shower.  I always get ready early so I can spend some time with Miss Minga before I go.  Sometimes she doesn't want me to leave the house, and the other day she broke my heart when she literally howled when I started to leave.  I wanted so badly to stay home, but I know if I don't, I will only get myself depressed again.  It's important to maintain this socialization to keep myself from getting sick, and it's only 4 hours a day. When I got to the bus stop, I called hubby, and he said the moment I left she went to her bed, curled up, and went to sleep.  Just like a small baby when their mommy leaves. 


Talk to you all tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. God Bless Miss Minga and you my friend.
    Ur food pics and recipes look gd enuff 2 eat. ;0)
    Thx 4 sharing all.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Mary.. Please give Miss Minga a hug from me! What a sweet kitty!

    Your beef recip looks delicious. I might have to try it! Hugs, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh coney island looks fun!! Aren't the meat prices crazy? And just as The Bard and I started a low carb diet too. I loved being a vegetarian, but honestly every time I have I've gained too muich weight (and this time the Bard did too.) So we have to buy meat now and what a hit the budget took! (although we have both lost weight.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special hugs to you and Miss Minga today.

    ReplyDelete