Friday, June 6, 2014

Friday Roundup

 A man of calm is like a shady tree.
People who need shelter come to it.

Toba Beta


Well, another Friday has arrived and no plans for the weekend.  It would be great to head out to Coney Island, but I don't like crowds.  I prefer a weekday when when everyone is working or in school.  If anything I'll take a walk to the park to do some reading, some place quiet.  Nice to have choices.  When I was still working I had none.  Always had to take care of my errands on Saturday, and Sunday I'd be so drained I didn't want to do much of anything.
 
Starting next week I really do have to actively start watching what I eat.  I know I have said this before, but I'm really feeling this extra weight.  Not only do my knees and back ache, but I also find myself getting short of breath when I walk awhile, especially now in this hot, humid weather we have been having.  And the worst is yet to come.  I found myself dreading what is to come when we really hit the summer heat.  So, here is the two main changes I plan to make.  They don't sound like much, but I have to do this thing slowly

...Cut out, or at least cut down on, beans and rice, especially on those days that I go to the Center.  The fact is, I already get one full meal at lunch time.  I certainly don't need another full meal at dinner. Instead I plan on filling my dish with veggies or salad and one small piece of whatever meat or poultry we are having.  I've lots of tasty vegetable and salad recipes and a fruit stand that sells everything my little heart desires.  I cannot, however, give up my mashed potatoes and pasta.  However, being that I only have them once a week each I will consider them my treat.

...Give up the sweets.  Now that the hot weather is here an occasional ice cream won't hurt...but that is the 'key' word...occasional.   I must give up these sweet treats every day.  My last blood work showed that I was borderline diabetic.  I really do have to keep that up front. 

Fortunately Pepsi is no longer an issue for me.  I don't even like the taste of it anymore.   Never thought I would hear myself say that.   There was a time when I HAD to have one every afternoon or go through withdrawal.  Of course, they were psychological withdrawals such as crankiness, but they were enough to send my co-workers running to the store to buy me one.  

My son is doing great since his NDE.  He's not only watching his diet and, at least, cutting down on smoking, but it also has made him appreciate the closeness of family. We now talk on a regular basis. My eldest has always been family oriented, but my youngest was fiercely independent, a trait picked up from me.  I'd only see him on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday...and rarely would he call, even when I left a message. I knew he had a demanding job that often took him out of state, but a few phone calls wouldn't have hurt.  

Don't get me wrong.  It's not that he doesn't love me.  When he found out about my lung biopsy, he was the first one there. He reminds me so much of me in my youthful years. I loved my mother, too, and wish now I had been able to be closer to her.  Granted, my family was quite dysfunctional, but I feel I could have tried harder and then maybe, just maybe, I could have found that closure that I forever seek.  But, I was too late.  I know my son has issues regarding me and his dad's separation, his dad's death, the loss of both grandparents all  within a period of a year.  Aside from his brother, I am all he has now.  But, at least he has a second chance, and he tells me he has been blessed.  I wish I had been given that gift. 

And with that I bid you all a wonderful weekend.  See you on Monday.





No comments:

Post a Comment