Thursday, October 11, 2012

TGIF

Don't run through life so fast that you forget not only where you've
been, but also where you are going.
Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.

Nancy Simms


Another week has passed by at record speed.  Alas, I try and try to slow it down, but time continues to push forward on it journey.  The only thing left for me to do is to slow down and stop moving so fast.  For awhile there, I'd thought I had it licked, but now I find myself falling right back into the speed demon I once was.  That is good in that it means my lungs are strengthening and the extra walking is making me healthier, but it is also making me miss out on what I am passing by.

This is a cooking weekend for me.  With the cool weather, I plan to make a lot of soups and stews.  I love soups and stews, but most have too much sodium, so last cooking spree I tried my hands at my own chicken stew, salt-free, and I have to say it was 'delicious'.  I used skinless chicken legs, chopped for soup, 2 packages of fresh soup vegetables, 3 stalks of celery in addition to what came in the package, tomatoes, new potatoes, onions, and various colored peppers.  The only seasoning I used was some garlic powder. After washing and chopping the soup vegetables, I tossed all, including the handful of fresh herbs that came with it, into a pot and let it simmer. By the time all the seasonings melded together, it really didn't need any salt. It was fantastic. Even hubby ate it. 

This week I plan to make more (one can never have enough chicken stew) and a beef stew. My mouth is already watering.  I've also been craving some Sloppy Joe's and a nice hamburger will taste good right about now. The rest I will play by ear. Of course, that's only my foods.  Hubby has his own salted menu.


Best wishes for the weekend ahead. Whatever your plans, be safe and be happy. See you all on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment