Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tuesday Memories

Happy are they who still love something they loved in the nursery:
They have not been broken in two by time; they are not two persons,
but one, and they have saved not only their souls but their lives.

G.K. Chesterton   


My bike was one of my best friends during my childhood years.  I remember many days that I rode from morning to night.  During the summer I was left alone while my parents worked, and my friends were busy with their own families, so my bike became the one thing that never let me down.  As I recall, it was a green no-name brand, but it brought me to the far corners of the world, and there was nothing like taking first place in a race.  Of course, I was not only going in circles around my neighborhood and totally alone, but in childhood our imagination carries us wherever we want to go.  On my bike, I was fearless and carefree, with not a care in the world. The loneliness and pain of growing up in a dysfunctional family was gone.  Yes. Life was good.

Have a good one.

1 comment:

  1. I remember "going exploring" on my bike too -- in those days, we were left unsupervised to roam freely all over town and country.

    ReplyDelete