Monday, June 8, 2015

Monday Morning This and That

Another quote from one of my favorite authors.
The most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen.

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

A friend from church bought this key chain for me.  She knew I loved Angels so she knew I would love it.  I do.  I just wish I could get a better photo for you, but no matter what angle, other colors appear on the silver.


Morning friends.  Hope you had a good weekend.  Mine was quiet.  Wrote a paper for class which was harder than I thought it would be and spent a lot of time researching osteoarthritis and sciatica and natural things I can do to help ease the pain.  It seems now I never know where it is going to pop up.  On Saturday I went to do our food shopping and on the bus my finger locked.  Scary feeling.  Then, for the rest of the day the joint was painful.

One nasty habit I know I have to consciously work on is something I have done for as long as I remember--pick at the side of my nails.  I was a teen when I started and still find myself doing it.  There was a time when I used to pick until they were sore and bleeding.  Fortunately I don't go that far anymore, but I still find myself doing it when my hands are not occupied.  This is a reason I have never had nice nails, and secondly, after all these years the repetitive movements are catching up to me. I'm sure this has something to do with my frozen fingers.

Went to church on Sunday.  What a gorgeous day.  About time the sun came out.  More rain headed our way later this afternoon though. Good for the gardens, but not for lunch in the park. 

Hubby has another nasty cold and only felt like a can of chicken soup so I made myself a fabulous tasting chicken salad for dinner. I bought some Perdue ready made chicken strips, diced some celery and red onion, a dollop of mayonnaise, and sprinkled in some curry powder.  Delicious.


 I'd like to close today with an old Hindu legend.  Don't know if you heard it before......

There was once a time when all human beings were gods, but they so abused their divinity that Brahma, the chief god, decided to take it away from them and hide it where it could never be found.

Where to hide their divinity was the question. So Brahma called a council of the gods to help him decide. "Let's bury it deep in the earth," said the gods. But Brahma answered, "No, that will not do because humans will dig into the earth and find it." Then the gods said, "Let's sink it in the deepest ocean." But Brahma said, "No, not there, for they will learn to dive into the ocean and will find it." Then the gods said, "Let's take it to the top of the highest mountain and hide it there." But once again Brahma replied, "No, that will not do either, because they will eventually climb every mountain and once again take up their divinity." Then the gods gave up and said, "We do not know where to hide it, because it seems that there is no place on earth or in the sea that human beings will not eventually reach."

Brahma thought for a long time and then said, "Here is what we will do. We will hide their divinity deep in the center of their own being, for humans will never think to look for it there."

All the gods agreed that this was the perfect hiding place, and the deed was done. And since that time humans have been going up and down the earth, digging, diving, climbing, and exploring--searching for something already within themselves.

Author unknown


2 comments:

  1. That's a great Hindu wisdom story and a wonderful quotation from Kubler-Ross! Have a great week, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a number of folk remedies for osteoarthritis. One we've used for years is pectin dissolved in grape juice. I am using powdered pectin now rather than Certo, and it still works. My hands, especially my thumbs, have arthritis, and they don't hurt when I use this daily. Another one is raisins soaked in gin; another involves drinking apple cider vinegar in hot water. Whatever works!

    ReplyDelete