Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Tuesday Photo Shoot



Sometimes looking deep into the eyes of a child,
you are conscious of meeting a glance full
of wisdom. The child has known nothing yet
but love and beauty. All this piled-up world
knowledge you have acquired is unguessed at
by her. And yet you meet this wonderful look
that tells you in a moment more than all the
years of experience have seemed to teach.


Hildegarde Hawthorne 

Good morning everyone, and a wonderful morning it is.  For so many years I didn't know who I was.  I was so lost.  Oh, I had my loving hubby and sons, but I couldn't even remember what I looked like when I was growing up.  Everyone had their childhood photos, but I had none.  I had some memories, but they were sparse, few and far between.  Now that my daughter is back in my life, I am finally being given the closure that I need.


I am pretty sure this was my kindergarten picture.  If not, it is first grade.  We didn't attend kindergarten in the grammar school with the rest of the kids.  Our kindergarten was held in a house that had been revamped to hold our kindergarten class. 


I was a cute little girl if I do say so myself.


This is the year I had begun taking care of myself in the morning.  Got myself off to school because both parents were working. Notice the straggly hair.


Of all my pictures,  I remember this photo so clearly. Don't remember anything about it, but I do see it clearly in my mind.


Either 8th grade or freshman year of high school. Pin curls.  Remember them?


This was me sitting on the porch of our first home.  The friend I have been looking for for so many years lived two houses down. I fell down these steps onto my head.  It hit so hard the lady across the street heard it before I started screaming and came running.  I was blessed that day that all I got was a lump.  Could have been much worse.


This was me with my Susie.  My first dog.  She came to live with us when I was only five years old.  I remember coming home from school one day to discover that she'd been hit with an oil truck and was in pretty bad shape.  The vet was a miracle worker, however, and Susie lived, but he did have to amputate one of her legs.  That didn't deter my little girl though.  She got around with three legs just as well as a dog with four....and oh, how she loved me and I loved her.  She lived until I was 20 years old when she developed a brain tumor and had to be put to sleep.  I still think of her often and cry over her.  

Hope you don't mind all the photos, but posting them here and talking about them is helping me to remember.  I've more to follow, but I think this is enough for now. 


4 comments:

  1. You sure were a cute little girl! I love seeing your newly re-discovered photos and hearing the stories that go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice memories and pics. I do remember pin curls, sitting on the porch of my childhood home and school photos. So sorry about your dog. Pets are part of the family.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were adorable Mary! I love all the photos. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely are a beautiful woman Mary and you were so adorable when you were little. These are wonderful memories and pictures. Thank you for sharing with us. :)

    ReplyDelete