Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Reflecting on 2014

As we rise to meet the challenges that
are a natural part of living, we awaken
to our many undiscovered gifts, to
our inner power and our purpose.

Susan L. Taylor


2014 was a challenging year for me, to be sure, and I like to think I everything that came at me well. From the beginning of the year until September, my health continued to deteriorate. My own fault.  I had continued with my uncontrolled eating patterns throughout most of the year, and eventually it all caught up to me.  So, gone are the chips, the cakes, cookies, and candy and in their place are fruits, veggies, and low fat cheese.  In September I joined Weight Watchers and have been on a weight loss journey since then. 

Heart palpitations took me to the emergency room, and it turned out to be a combination of a few things--the increase of salt in my diet, stopping one of my blood pressure medications (without contacting my doctor), and adding the supplement SAMe to my morning regimen of vitamins.  Upon further research, I discovered that, although rare, SAMe has been known to  cause heart palpitations.  Be aware of what you put in your body.  I am usually so much more careful, but I was so desperate this time I didn't research as I should have. 

On the plus side, my blood pressure has finally been controlled with the help of medication and diet.  My thyroid levels have remained stable, and, with doctor's orders, I have been taken off the Methimazole.  In November I finally saw an eye doctor, the first time in almost 40 years, I am ashamed to admit.  I've cataracts and possible glaucoma, so following up on this is a must for 2015.  I also have an appointment to see the doctor about glasses. 

Along with Weight Watchers, I am now also taking an art class at a new center as well as participating in arthritis exercises two times per week.  It's important for me to stay busy to keep depression from setting in.  I still go to the old center, but only on Wednesday.  It's gotten so boring there, but I do like the people I met there, and I don't want to sever ties with them.   

Went to the bank yesterday and paid the rent and the bills.  I grew up being told that whatever was left undone for New Years will be left undone throughout the year.  So, I used to bust my butt to have laundry done, an immaculately clean apartment, bills paid, and a pantry stocked with food.  While I realize now that there will always be laundry to do and cleaning to be done,  I believe that having my bills all paid when the New Year rolls in means I will always have enough money to pay my bills throughout the year.

So now, here we are, standing on the cusp of the unknown.  What will the new year bring? I tell you one thing, this journey I have started to become healthier is one of the best things I have ever done for myself.   After a lifetime of abusing my body and filling it with all kinds of junk, I have made the changes and started working on my new lifestyle.  It's amazing how much better I already feel.  I may still be in pain, but at least I can walk a few blocks without becoming short of breath.

So, as 2015 is ushered in, I plan on continuing my journey and staying positive as I continue on the path that leads to the person I want to be.

Wishing you all a Happy New Year.



4 comments:

  1. Good for you Mary for being so good to yourself! A happy, healthy New Year to you! Big hug and lots of love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, Healthy, Prosperous New Year to you, Mary!! I wish you well in the coming year. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl!
    All the best to you in 2015.
    Happy New Year!
    (((hugs)))Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so inspired by your WW journey! Happy to hear that you are able to ditch a medication and vary your activities. It sounds like you are gearing up for a wonderful year ahead.

    So many blessings to you as the new year rolls in!

    ReplyDelete