Friday, December 19, 2014

Friday Roundup




Let us pray that strength and courage abundant be given to all
who work for a world of reason and understanding, that the
good that lies in every person's heart may day by day be magnified,
that people will come to see more clearly not that which
divides them, but that which unites them, that each hour
may bring us closer to a final victory, not of nation over nation,
but of people over their own evils and weaknesses, that the
true spirit of this Christmas season--its joy, its beauty, its hope,
and above all its abiding faith--may live among us, that the
blessings of peace be ours - the peace to build and grow, to live
in harmony and sympathy with others, and to plan
for the future with confidence.

Unknown

Good morning.  Glad the weather is holding up because it is going to be another busy day for me.  Spoke with my son about his girlfriend, and he said she liked to read so I ordered two books for her--"The Red Tent", and "The Boston Girl", both by the same author.  At first I ordered them from Amazon, but then when I saw delivery date of December 24th I got scared and canceled.  Instead I ordered them from Barnes & Noble and will pick them up at the store today.  A little more expensive, but at least I'll be sure her gift will arrive in time.  And I think I will add a Christmas mug and some hot chocolate...and if not too expensive, some nice stationary.


Strange sky yesterday.  It was bright and sunny one minute and this is what happened the next. All around me got so dark.  It was almost like an eclipse.

Took off 2.6 pounds yesterday. That's 21.6 pounds altogether.  A few more ounces and I will hit my 10 percent mark.  The facilitator says that's when the health benefits begin kicking in.  I already feel less short of breath when I walk.  Hoping an alleviation of some of this pain comes next. It puts a damper on my holiday shopping, but I don't let it get me down.


Last night I was working on my genealogy.  My 28th grandfather was Earl Waleran De Newburgh, and the above was his castle.  When I see this it makes me wonder where all the riches went. Here I am in a living in a 3 room apartment in Brooklyn, New York, and my ancestor lived like this?  Money mismanagement somewhere along the line.

This year I am trying something new on Christmas Eve.  We usually have buffalo wings for me and the boys, shrimp for hubby, finger foods, and cold cut sandwiches, none of which is healthy.  This year I am planning a Mexican feast.  I love Mexican food and miss the Mexican restaurant where I used to live.  We have none close by over here. So, along with the buffalo wings and shrimp, my menu will include...

WW Macaroni Salad
Chicken Mole with Yellow Rice
Mexican Casserole
 Mexican Salad

All recipes are from Weight Watchers so you know they will be healthy and light. 

Well, got lots to do to prepare for the holiday.  Time to get a move on. 

Have a wonderful weekend, and I'll see you on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Some unscrupulous relative swindled you out of that castle, Mary! Mexican food for xmas eve sounds wonderful. And congrats on the 2.6 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. :0)
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a yummy sounding Christmas dinner! What a gorgeous castle! I'm wondering, have you ever seen the TV show Time Team, BBC version? My husband and I have been watching episodes on Acorn, (a streaming service like Netflix,) and loving them. It's all about British archaeology. They find all kinds of amazing Saxon, Norman and Viking age artifacts! Last night we watched an episode about Hampton Court, and about Cardinal Wolsey's home. They found some magnificent stained glass and part of a beautiful stone wall. I think you would love the show!

    Have a great weekend, Mary! Big hug.

    ReplyDelete