Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Coney Island Photos....What There is of Them

 “To stand at the edge of the sea, to sense the ebb and flow of the tides, to feel the breath of a mist moving over a great salt marsh, to watch the flight of shore birds that have swept up and down the surf lines of the continents for untold thousands of year, to see the running of the old eels and the young shad to the sea, is to have knowledge of things that are as nearly eternal as any earthly life can be.”

 Rachel Carson

And a happy Tuesday morning to all.  The humidity is supposed to start creeping back today.  As I get older I find that I don't deal with it as well as I used to.  I'd thought that since the thyroid medication was working well, my inner thermostat would work better, but darn it, I am still hot as hell when I go out.  I think, no I am sure, the extra weight has a lot to do with it.

I've a few photos that I took at Coney that I wanted to share with you.  Actually, I had taken many of what I THOUGHT were going to be lovely pictures of our ocean mother.  But, I don't know how others do it, but I can't see a darn thing on my phone out there in the sun.  I see other people checking their mail and texting, and all I have is a black screen. What am I doing wrong? Eventually, I went into the ladies room to bring up the camera and went back out and began aiming and snapping to where I remember the button was.  A once in a lifetime picture was a sailboat coming very close to shore.

You can imagine my chagrin when I got home and discovered my wonderful photos of the ocean were selfies of my forehead.  Oh my, I must have hit the wrong button.  There were 12 of them.  Not one picture of the ocean.  The following pictures I took as I entered the park, prior to the selfie fiasco.



This is the famous Wonder Wheel.  A Brooklyn landmark, it was built in 1920 and is currently protected as a registered historical NYC landmark. It rises 150 feet high with a total capacity of 144 passengers. The cars on the inside swing back and forth between the center and edge of the wheel as it rotates. Won't catch me on it.  The only time the ride stopped running was during the Great NYC Blackout in July, 1977.


The Parachute Jump in the background is no longer functional, but it still stands as another NYC landmark. It was originally created by a retired Naval commander to train military paratroopers during the 1930s and was one of the star attractions of the New York City World's Fair in 1939, it was moved to Coney Island in 1941.  It has been called the 'Eiffel Tower of Brooklyn'.


The World Famous Nathan's which began as a nickel hot dog stand in in 1916.  It is the first thing you see when you exit the train station.  I was surprised at how huge it has grown.  Now no longer just hot dogs and cheese fries, they also sell clams, soft shell crabs, and lobster.  They also have their own souvenir shop now, and when you enter the boardwalk, you find yet another, smaller Nathan's.


Snapped this as I was walking towards the boardwalk.  I saw a few police cars and officers and a lineup of motorcyclists.  Didn't realize until I was walking past them that all of them were actually plain clothes officers.  If you make the picture larger, you will see the Haunted House.


This is the newest roller coaster at Coney Island, the Thunderbolt. After going straight up, one then drops 115 feet and continues on a wild ride which turns riders every which way.  I'll not be caught on it.  I can't even take the rickety old Cyclone, which, by the way, also came out as a selfie.

Well, that's about it for my photos...this time. I hope next time will be better. Did some research and hopefully I have the answer to better pictures.  I know I have certainly learned from my mistakes.  I'll never start pressing everywhere on a dark screen hoping I got a picture. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  


2 comments:

  1. Well, at least the photos which turned out are nice ones! You should have included ONE forehead shot in this post for us, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary.......I have never been to Coney Island.....maybe one day Brad and I will travel to the area. BTW.....I'm always HOT too......and I just attribute it to the dreaded ""M"" word. LOL LOL I keep thinking they will stop soon.....but it seems just wishful thinking on my part.

    Stay well and happy.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete