Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Random Thoughts

 Shedding late-summer tears for the end of cherry season. Patiently and hopefully waiting for pumpkin pie season.  

Terri Guillemets


Good morning, everyone.  The humidity has broken, and it looks like we are in store for a lovely day. Yesterday was gross.  The humidity was high, and in the morning, as I waited for the bus, there was no place to find any shade. Wouldn't you just know that the bus had to be late as well.  I waited 25 minutes out there and was just about to go back home when I saw it down the block.  Seems as if they are always late when the weather is bad. 

Not much happening here.  Yesterday was the first time I went out since Friday.  I felt so bad this weekend that I didn't even get to Church.  Tummy problems.  That is one of the little nuisances that come along with fibro. I'm beginning to feel better.  Just have to watch what I eat.  Actually, I shouldn't wait until my tummy is on the fritz to watch what I eat.  Should be doing this every day.

The bagel, an unsweetened doughnut with rigor mortis.

Beatrice and Ira Freeman

When I came across the above quote it triggered a long forgotten memory. As you all know, I was born and raised in a small town, and when I moved to the city 40 years ago, I was really naive about a lot of things. There was so much I'd missed out on when growing up.  I can't believe that I didn't even know what a bagel was.

I am no longer addicted to pineapple.  The addiction has run its course.  My new addiction is cherries.  What am I to do when cherry season is over.  I will be shedding some summer tears for sure.

I'm learning to let things go that I have no control over. It only raises my blood pressure.  So, my peer takes dinner home when she doesn't need it.  Not my business.  She has to make peace with herself.  Or, my other peer who uses her age to ride the bus for free.  Not really my business.  If the bus drivers allow it, then so be it. It's not easy to ignore these things, but I cannot change them.  As long as I know that I am honest and don't abuse age or physical handicap.  I am learning to put the focus on myself.  I may stray once in awhile, so please forgive me if I do.

I've recently purchased and am reading "The Jewish Book of Days: A Companion for All Seasons" by Jill Hammer.  I am absolutely loving it.  

Book Description:

Throughout the ages, Jews have connected legends to particular days of the Hebrew calendar. Abraham’s birth, the death of Rachel, and the creation of light are all tales that are linked to a specific day and season. The Jewish Book of Days invites readers to experience the connection between sacred story and nature’s rhythms, through readings designed for each and every day of the year. These daily readings offer an opportunity to live in tune with the wisdom of the past while learning new truths about the times we live in today. Using the tree as its central metaphor, The Jewish Book of Days is divided into eight chapters of approximately forty-five days each. These sections represent the tree's stages of growth—seed, root, shoot, sap, bud, leaf, flower, and fruit—and also echo the natural cadences of each season. Each entry has three components: a biblical quote for the day; a midrash on the biblical quote or a Jewish tradition related to that day; and commentary relating the text to the cycles of the year. The author includes an introduction that analyzes the different months and seasons of the Hebrew calendar and explains the textual sources used throughout. Appendixes provide additional material for leap years, equinoxes, and solstices. A section on seasonal meditations offers a new way to approach the divine every day.
For as long as I remember I have been fascinated with the mystical side of Judaism.  There is so much to it that we don't understand. 
And with that, I am off to get ready.  Forgot I wanted to leave a bit early to stop at Pathmark.  I bought a couple of new foods for Miss Minga on Friday, and she absolutely adores them.  Have to pick up a few more.  Talk to you tomorrow.




3 comments:

  1. Hey, just heard that Margot Adler passed away. You know, the author of "Drawing Down the Moon." Very sad. Another pagan author gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your feelings are your feelings. Right is Right! No apologies needed m/f..
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cherries too! So does my baby!! I enjoy pineapple a lot but it makes my tongue all hairy!!
    It's good you are learning to let go!!! Have a creative week!!

    ReplyDelete