Monday, April 7, 2014

Monday Morning This and That

 It's spring fever.  That is what the name of it is.  And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! 

Mark Twain

Happy Monday morning.  A new week is beginning, and Spring appears to have finally taken control.  Nothing under 50 degrees this week.  Hip Hip Hooray.  We've a bit of rain coming, but that's okay.  It sure beats snow and ice any day. And we have more new life. More seeds are sprouting. Maybe this year I can get them to grow.


This weekend Spring Fever hit with a bang.  After food shopping on Saturday, I packed up some of my heavy winter sweaters and started digging out some Spring items and rinsing them out.  I sure do miss my clothesline, but one learns to make do with what they have.  In my case, I have cleaned off my window guards and hang clothes over them to dry.  Still get that fresh outdoor smell that I love.


Speaking of outdoors. One thing I have really been missing since we moved to our new apartment was a backyard for my outdoor cooking.  I grew up in the country, and grilling has always been a part of my life.  I love and miss that smoky aroma. I had purchased a George Foreman grill, but was  disappointed that it, too, lacked that grilling taste. But, this weekend I found away around that one as well. While shopping I came across and  bought some Wright's Liquid Smoke. At home I went online to find out how to use it and lo and behold,  I found a book called  'Cheater BBQ: Barbecue Anytime, Anywhere, in Any Weather' by Mindy Merrell and R, B. Quinn which, delightfully, was available for my Kindle.  Of course you know I had to buy it, and if Saturday's dinner is a taste of things to come, already it was well worth the price.  (Corn, steak fries, and steak) 


Last night I dreamed that I was scanning pennies...supposedly to find some that were worth a great deal of money.  I wonder if that means I should start paying more attention to my pennies.  

Yesterday was the first time I used my washing machine.  These things are much more complicated than they used to be.  Took me forever to learn how to use it. The dryer downstairs used to work fantastically so that was our plan...wash upstairs, dry downstairs.  Unfortunately, though, it turned out that the dryer wasn't working.  (Should have checked first).  So, here I am with three loads I washed and wondering what to do with them.  Can't take them to the laundry across the street because the rule is you have to use their machines to wash in order to use the dryers.  Matter of fact, that's the way of all the laundromats around the city. So, I have clothes hanging all over my house.  What a mess!!!  But, lesson learned.  Never take things for granted.  Always check first.

And with that I will bid you all a fantastic day.  

Awake, thou wintry earth -
Fling off thy sadness!
Fair vernal flowers, laugh forth
Your ancient gladness!

Thomas Blackburn, "An Easter Hymn"

4 comments:

  1. No dryer? Oh, how awful. Any chance the management will fix it? Or maybe you'll have to save for one of your own. At least it's Spring, so you can find a way to dry them! I cannot believe that you have to use the washer to use the dryer at the laundrymat. What a stupid rule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 loads of wet laundry! Oh no! Hope it dries quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of laundry. I experienced something similar, but with just one load a few months ago. Our old washer decided to die right after it had filled for a rinse. Extra large wash. Lol. What fun that was. I love our new washer, (well, 6 months old, so not spanking new). When i do the settings it sounds like a pinball machine. Lol

    Have a good day, Mary. Glad spring has arrived for you. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look for a folding drying rack that you can keep behind a door or under the bed when not in use. They hold a Lott and dry quickly. I often hang pants and jersey knit tops rather than use the dryer.

    ReplyDelete