Friday, April 4, 2014

Friday Roundup

 There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.  

Jane Austen

Some of my seeds have sprouted.  Too bad I don't know what they are.  I should have labeled them.  (Sigh) Too late now.

As another Friday rolls around, I find myself once again planning what to do on the weekend.  Actually, there is not much to plan.  On Saturday I am going food shopping.  Two weeks seems to roll around very quickly since I have been cooking every day.  Sunday morning is Church, and Sunday afternoon we plan to christen our new washing machine.  I've been sick and not feeling much like a practice run, but we are both definitely running out of things to wear.  It just doesn't seem like it is going to be as easy as I thought it would be, but I am sure after a couple times, I will have this thing down pat. The dryer downstairs works well so hubby will take the wet clothes down there to dry them.

This week has been rather uneventful as I continue to recuperate from this nasty cold.  Haven't had one like this in years.  Just can't seem to kick it.  It can't all be the cold now, so I am thinking allergies must be at fault as well so I bought some Zyrtec.  They say that is the best allergy medication for people with high blood pressure.

I did make it to the Center on Tuesday and Wednesday.  On Tuesday I won the jackpot at bingo...$12.  Not much, but it always makes one feel better to win.  Wednesday I kind of wished I had stayed home.  The place was empty.  There was no one to call bingo so I sat for an hour playing bingo on my phone. Then, afterwards, there was no one there for our women's group either so I sat with the two interns for an hour and ended up offering a training on how to run a group...per their request.  The food was good, though, so the day wasn't a total waste. 

As for today, I am staying home.  It is a rainy day, and I've much to keep me occupied around the house.  Heavy sweaters need to be packed away for next winter, and lighter blouses need to be taken out of the closet and freshened up. I'd planned on shopping for a fashion show I agreed to participate in, but when I heard the weather report, I played hooky from the Center yesterday and went shopping instead. Found a nice black skirt and top to go with it.


We are not supposed to be dressy dressed so I thought this would be perfect.  It looks so much better in person, and although you cannot tell from the picture, there are little silver sequins around the V-neck. Personally, I cannot believe that I accepted this invitation, but I'll make the best of it.  Hey, it might be fun so why am I projecting the worst?  Because I always do when it comes to something like this.  I'm guessing this is one of those childhood memories  that lurks in the background  waiting for a situation to come up that allows it to rear its ugly head.  Being the child that no one wanted on their team can leave lasting emotional scars.

Needless to say, the emotional scars may still be there, but I no longer run from them.  Now I face them head on.  It is totally unrealistic to think I am going to be booed on the runway, but today I am aware that those thoughts belong in the past.  I am no longer that shy little girl who kept her head down and could not look anyone in the eye.  Today I have friends.  Today I am accepted.  Today I am me.

So, like a forgotten fire, a childhood can always flare up again within us.  

Gaston Bachelard


2 comments:

  1. Black and white is always GOOD!
    In fact, I found myself a blouse in those colors yesterday that to fit in to soon. :0)
    One has to accentuate the Positive! :0)
    You will look gr8 Mary!
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete