Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tuesday Ramble

"The holly and the ivy, When they are both full grown, Of all trees that are in the wood, The holly bears the crown: O, the rising of the sun, And the running of the deer The playing of the merry organ, Sweet singing in the choir."


Good morning, everyone. Another snowy day here in the city, but it doesn't look to be so bad...yet.  they say only two inches or less, so I guess I will play it by ear.  I don't have to leave until after 9 am so I have time to make a decision.  I am just so afraid of falling.  Have an appointment with the social worker at 10 am so no Bingo today, but getting my benefits in order is first on the agenda right now. Next on my to-do list is this union.  Time to light a match under their butts. 

Today is the first day of the Roman festival of Saturnalia, an ancient Roman winter festival  which lasts for seven days Saturnalia which was originally an agricultural festal was held to honor the father of the gods who was associated with  seed and planting. This was a time of feasting, games, foods, and gifts.  Doorways and windows were adorned with greenery--wreaths, garlands--and trees were decorated with sun symbols and stars, our first Christmas trees. I have no special plans for the day, but I usually do light some candles in the eve to signify the sacred flame symbolic of the hearth which keeps me warm during the cold winter months.  Do you celebrate Saturnalia?

Do you remember when not too long ago I posted about a call I'd received supposedly from someone from Microsoft that was definitely a scam.  Well, since that time, I've also received calls from another scam advising me they are from Medical Compensation and that I am due some money due to some issues with the birth control pills I took.  Funny, cause I never took birth control pills.  Well, I've gotten several calls from them, and when my Microsoft friend called again yesterday, I was waiting for him.  

"I'll have you know that I have a relative who works for the police force, and I've asked him to put a trace on this call."  Yeah, I know that's pretty lame and throughout the years has outlived its usefulness, and it didn't phase him at all because he kept on and on.  But, it just so happened that hubby decided to call on my land phone at the same time and I picked it up and said, "Did you get that trace?"  My friend who was busily trying to explain that he REALLY was from Microsoft hung up very quickly. Why is it, I wonder, that all of these scams have guys call with Indian accents? 

It saddens me that there will always be those who try to take advantage of others and saddens me more that others fall for it.  Just beware.  Especially at this time of year.  There will always be someone ready to take your money.

The flute, whence Autumn's misty finger-tips
Drew music -- ripening the pinched kernels in
The burly chestnut and the chinquapin,
Red-rounding-out the oval haws and hips, --
Now Winter crushes to his stormy lips
And surly songs whistle around his chin:
Now the wild days and wilder nights begin
When, at the eaves, the crooked icicle drips.
Thy songs, O Autumn, are not lost so soon!
Still dwells a memory in thy hollow flute,
Which, unto Winter's masculine airs, doth give
Thy own creative qualities of tune,
By which we see each bough bend white with fruit,
Each bush with bloom, in snow commemorative.

Madison Julius Cawein










3 comments:

  1. Mary, this is why I hardly ever answer a call from a number I don't know. I have voice mail, so if they don't leave a message, I assume it was not important., a scam or somebody selling something. Those who do not publish their number, well, that's not my problem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, you and your husband make a great scam-busting team!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mum fell for that Microsoft thing and didn't tell us for weeks. Luckily she doesn't do any banking or anything like that online. I had her take her computer to a shop to get checked out and they said it was clean. I still wonder though. Good for you for the scam bust! That is awesome! I keep thinking of you and hoping that things with your health care and finances get sorted soon.
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete