Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Yippee!!! It's Almost Here

Witch and ghost make merry on this last of dear October’s days.  

Author Unknown
Tomorrow is the big day, the day we have all been anxiously awaiting for awhile now as well as the first  Halloween party I have ever attended. I was listening to the news this morning and the newscasters were talking old memories. Brought up some fond thoughts for me.  Tonight is mischief night, and I remember ringing doorbells and running off. That was a big thing for us.  The 'bad kids' soaped up cars. We just contented ourselves with annoying our neighbors.

My day will be somewhat different than originally planned, but even the best laid plans must leave room for change.  I will be attending the holiday party at the Center, of course, but I'll not be cooking that elaborate meal of dishes from around the world that I had originally planned.   Indeed, how did I think I was ever going to get it all done--attend a party most of the day, then come home and do all this cooking?  I'm not that spring chicken who can do it all anymore.  Instead what we will have is an old family favorite.  I grew up on Hungarian Goulash, and I totally love it.  I've all the ingredients handy, and it doesn't take much to throw it together.  I think grandma will be pleased. She is the one who taught me how to make it.

On Friday evening I am planning  to attend an All Souls service at the Church.  What a great way to honor my ancestors!  This is also a 'first' for me.  I have no idea what to expect.  I do hope they have some music.  They didn't for the healing ceremony, and I do understand.  That was a more solemn event.  But this, All Souls, I look at as a celebration of their lives and not a time to mourn. Needless to say, I still plan on having my own little celebration of their lives on the eve of the 31st.  
This will be it for my Halloween costume. I didn't go all out and buy a complete costume.   With some black pants and a black striped shirt, I will be fine. 
 When witches go riding,
and black cats are seen,
the moon laughs and whispers,
‘tis near Halloween.

Wishing you all a great day.

Author Unknown

4 comments:

  1. Happy Eve of Halloween, Mary. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Almost Halloween!!! I have been waiting for these couple of days all year! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you'll have a day of enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete