Friday, October 25, 2013

Friday Roundup


When witches go riding,
and black cats are seen,
the moon laughs and whispers,
‘tis near Halloween.
Author Unknown

Wow. Can you believe it?  Friday is here again.  Funny thing.  On weekdays I can barely remember what day it is, but I always know when it is Friday.  I guess years of celebrating Friday. 

I didn't go to the center today.  In fact, this week I only went on Tuesday. I've been feeling the effects of a cold that just doesn't want to come all the way on.  My nose is plugged, chest congested, eyes heavy, body achy and cold, but this cold just won't rear its ugly face in full.  I just stay in limbo awaiting the day it finally decides to come all the way on.  

This morning as I made my decision to take the day off, I began to get similar guilty feelings to those I used to feel when I called in sick from work.  I guess maybe that is because my peers at the center have been suggesting that I become more involved. I've spoken about my ideas for improvement in the daily schedule, and now several  have been suggesting that I be nominated for the board. I was flattered, of course, but in discussing the bylaws the other day, it was decided that good attendance was a 'must'. So, I guess this is where my feelings are stemming from. It's that old feeling that by taking off I am letting someone down. Old habits die hard, I guess. 

But, the fact is, I don't know if I really want it anyway. I go there to have fun and occupy my time.  After 51 years of work, I am finally free.  Do I really want to add any responsibilities at this stage of my life?  And, if it is already arousing such feelings, do I really, really want it?

After a weeks worth of dreams it is time to come back to reality and make plans for the weekend. One last word on dreams though. I have a name. Yes, a name  came to me in a dream last night...Abigail Abbott. Never heard it before.  So this morning as soon as I had a chance, I checked out Ancestry and found several Abigail Abbott's dating back to the early days of Massachusetts.  Without any further information, though, I will be unable to proceed any further.

It's going to be a cool weekend, and I don't have much planned.  Tomorrow morning I am planning a trip to so this weekend I can not much plans. I am nursing an autumn cold not really sick sick but have plans to rest so it doesn't get that far going to the Farmer's Market to see what goodies I can find.  As you all know, I don't like winter fruits, but I do plan on picking some up and trying out some new recipes. 

It will be church on Sunday, and then the preparation for a new and better week.  And with Samhain on Thursday, a very special week it will be.

'Tis the night - the night
Of the grave's delight,
And the warlocks are at their play;
Ye think that without
The wild winds shout,
But no, it is they - it is they.

Arthur Cleveland Coxe

Wishing you all a very, very special weekend of joy, love, and peace.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, you have to be careful or you'll end up with a new job!! If they really want you, they will accept ANY time you give them. Stick to your guns. In business, I've found the most aloof, the most disinterested (yet qualified) person always gets the job or the promotion. There is a strange power in saying no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just say no, Mary, if this makes you at all anxious. No need for stress. It is time to have fun and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is ypur time relax and enjoy life Mary. Maybe another job, even though it's nothing like the one from which you just retired isn't the thing to do? You deserve to be on your own schedule, not someone else's! :). Have a great weekend. I hope your cold goes away without ever fully coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get well and stay well my friend.

    ReplyDelete