Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

Christmas reminds us we are not alone. We are not unrelated atoms, jouncing and ricocheting amid aliens, but are a part of something, which holds and sustains us.
As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December's bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same. Christmas shows us the ties that bind us together, threads of love and caring, woven in the simplest and strongest way within the family.

Donald E. Westlake



It is early on morning of Christmas Eve morning as I sit by the Christmas tree sipping a steaming cup of coffee and thinking about the things I have to do today.  I'm off work today.  I always take off on Christmas Eve. This has become a tradition for me. Just taking a few moments of relaxation before the busyness of the season 'really' begins for me.  Soon I will be off to the store for candy, cold cuts, and other forgotten items. There is potato salad and pesto macaroni salad to put together, cheese to be cut and platters to be made. Later will I will prepare my famous Buffalo Wings  for myself and my sons and shrimp sauteed in butter and garlic for hubby. These have become two of our holiday traditions. There is also a cake to be baked, and, oh, I must remember to take the cookies out


Since my children have grown, Christmas has become just another day for me, but Christmas Eve is different. Christmas Eve is a very special family time, a joyful time. and a great time to remember all of our blessings. We eat cold cuts and salads on paper plates and pig out on chocolate candy, cookies, and there is, of course, our Yule Log at midnight and a box of chocolate covered cherries for hubby...which will probably be gone by tomorrow.  Nothing formal. The time we have to spend with each other is just too important for anything, including cooking, to interfere.  It is just us, the tree, a sharing of memories, and a sense love peace that envelops us all. 

Wishing you all a joy-filled Christmas Eve.


The most vivid memories of Christmases past are usually not
of gifts given or received, but of the spirit of love,
the special warmth of Christmas worship,
the cherished little habits of home.

Lois Rand

7 comments:

  1. From my family to yours Mary....
    Merry Christmas!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd like to come to your house for all the good food! Wow!! Blessings of a happy Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful Christmas Eve tradition, Mary -- enjoy it to the fullest! Christmas blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you know, now I kinda want some cold cuts. What's that all about? Am I that easily suggestible?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful Christmas eve, Mary with all the delish food and wonderful company. Enjoy every minute and may this Christmas keep continuing to bring you cheer and love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you too! A joyful post. The simple things bring the most peace and wonder i think. Your Christmas Eve sounds delicious and fun.. :)

    ReplyDelete