Monday, July 18, 2016

Update on my Mouth Surgery

Some tortures are physical
And some are mental,
But the one that is both
Is dental.
Ogden Nash

Good afternoon everyone.  It's been very hot and humid here in Brooklyn.  Been spending most of my time indoors for several reasons--can't take the humidity, have lots of schoolwork to catch up on, and have been having a difficult time adjusting to the new teeth....although not as bad as some of the horror stories I have read.  To begin with, there is a sharp, knife-like piece of whatever they use to make the gums with which is slicing into my bottom gums.  Wore it to church yesterday, went to Key Food afterwards, and when I spoke with the girl at the register, it felt like a knife cutting into my gums.  Couldn't wait to get out of the store and rip it out.  The top is not so bad.  I have a small sore, but one that I can deal with until he does some filing tomorrow.

Been on a very soft food diet since last Thursday.  Yesterday, my diet consisted of oatmeal for breakfast, pea soup for lunch, and creamed spinach, chopped broccoli, and mashed potatoes for dinner.  Snacks for the day included rice pudding, yogurt, tapioca, and my fruit....cantaloupe, honeydew, strawberries and grapes....and I stuck it all in the blender.


I also eat pudding, tomato soup, and amazingly I can eat Weight Watchers American Cheese.  It's soft enough to melt in my mouth. At any rate, I will probably hit my 50 pound mark at Weight Watchers this week, but this is NOT how I wanted to do it.  Just can't wait to eat some solid food again. 

I know a couple of friends have called me, and I apologize for not calling back, but I have been talking down to a minimum until these sores in my mouth have been taken care of.  Hurts a lot to talk.  Know that I appreciate your concern and please forgive me.  It's not that I have been avoiding you guys.  

Have a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Mouth pain is the worst! I am soon to be 68 years old and suffered from terrible toothaches as a child. By 18 years of age I had dentures on top and a bridge on the bottom. I got used to them as I have had two sets only in all these years. I am about to get a new set soon and have to make a decision about opting for lower dentures or doing another bridge. I will be losing a tooth and that only leaves 4 teeth plus three crowns on the bottom.
    It's amazing what the dentists can do these days.
    Saying a prayer for you tonight that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the dentist will file off the rough edges and pressure points for you -- wishing you some much-needed relief! Glad to hear you're souping it, very smart.

    ReplyDelete