Friday, February 18, 2011

Weekend Musings

I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think,
all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends
I want to see.  The longer I live the more my mind dwells upon
the beauty and wonder of the world.  I hardly know which feeling leads,
wonderment or admiration.
--John Burroughs--


Hard to believe that another whole week has passed on by, but here we are, another weekend is upon us. Oh, where has the week gone.  Time seems to have slipped away from me, silent and unnoticed.  It seems year after year the days go by faster than I can count....and I never seem to have the time to do all the things that I want to do.  I have often thought about if I could just take the time off to do the things that are really important to me.

This Saturday will be devoted to cooking.  Yes, it is always rough and wears me down, but it does give me two weeks away from the stove, and with my odd hours at work, it makes the weekdays so much smoother, but sometimes, even just coming home from work and fixing the meals is too much for me.   Sometimes I just want to come home and do NOTHING, but sit back and enjoy the things I love.   But, responsibilities are a part of life, and it is easier to accept them than to fight against them.   Sunday I plan to spend a little money on myself...perhaps a new spring outfit to go with this wonderful weather.  Treating ourselves once in awhile is important.  It makes us feel good. 


I find that every day I seem to have fewer minutes at my disposal, and more and more I find that somewhere during all the work, I lose sight of what is important. Meaning, where is the meaning in our lives? Is it in what we achieve? Is that where our meaning lies? How often have you heard someone say "I've been so busy today, but I don't seem to have achieved anything?"... Something I have definitely said many times myself. Then one begins to feel guilty because one has nothing to show for the day, but, when you honestly think about it, why do we  always need to be achieving? Why not just spend the day mending the body and soul?  

Our souls, just like animals and plants, need air. In today's hectic society we sometimes neglect the feeding of our spirit.   We need to take time to nourish our soul by letting the world go on its way without us for awhile.  For those of us who work, this will be a long weekend with a Monday holiday.  Let's try to take just one day to feed and nourish our souls.

Enjoy your weekend.  May it be one of peace, love, rest, and a time to mend.


Enjoy yourself.
These are the good old days
you're going to miss in the years ahead.


~ Author Unknown ~

7 comments:

  1. Another great one Mary. I especially love the quote at the end. A somber reminder to be in the moment, which really is what it's all about right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep...we seem to forget that we need to make time for ourselves.
    I'm guilty of that.
    Must be a trait of women whose work is never done. sigh!
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy the warm weather :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear that you are going to get yourself a new spring outfit. It is very good for the soul to do something nice for ones self. Enjoy the few hours it takes to cook for two full weeks. Turn on the radio get into some comfy clothes and cook away. Remember how blessed that we are to have the food to be able to cook for two weeks at a time. Or the ability to cook on our own. Enjoy your three day weekend my friend!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first quote, by John Burroughs, is just beautiful, isn't it?

    Mrs. Bradley >,-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your weekend. I read thru your different blogs today and am amazed at your ability to keep them going. I can see where some of your time goes ;^) X.

    ReplyDelete