Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Wednesday Musings


A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition. --William Arthur Ward

Good morning, all.  It's brutally cold here in the city, and we had our first little snowfall of the year...if you consider half an inch a snowfall.  It's the bitter chill that is getting to me.  It seems like only yesterday that I was complaining that it was too hot.  But hey, this is January weather.  We're not used to being this cold before Christmas. I guess the cold is affecting my thoughts in more ways than one because today I seem to have a touch of brain freeze...can't think of much to say...

...so I guess I'll talk about yesterday.  Well, as you have probably guessed by now, I survived.  Yes, my CPR training is over, and actually, it wasn't as bad as I though it would be. I didn't even have to plead my case.  None of us had to get on the floor.  Sometimes we get ourselves all worked up over things that haven't happened yet.  Heck, I even had my little speech made up for when the instructor began to pressure me, but actually, he was a very nice man and understood that cold, hard floors were not the best place for these old knees. I guess the experiences of my last CPR training, which WAS a negative experience, clouded my thoughts on this one.

We all have negative thoughts at one time or another.  None of us are immune. Negative thoughts are about
  judging a situation that has already occurred or worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. In other words, negative thinking is past and future based.  They are fueled by perpetuation of negative images and past experiences which are very much a part of our lives.  We all have them at one time or another.  Let's face it, they are a part of life, and they can be exhausting and  rob us of the joy in our lives. 

Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come.  --Chinese Proverb

Most negative thoughts evolve around what might happen, not something that definitely will happen. So, instead of spending precious time and energy worrying about something that might happen, wouldn't it be better to wait until you see some evidence first? At least then, you will know you are worrying for a good reason, and not just out of habit. Why, I was already dreading this training yesterday, and all for naught. Had I taken the above advice to heart, I wouldn't have had such a miserable morning.

Our best friend and our worst enemies are our thoughts.
A thought can do us more good than a doctor or a banker
or a faithful friend.  It can also
do us more harm than a brick.
Frank Crane

7 comments:

  1. Worry is a frienemy of mine....I hate to admit it. You are absolutely right though, most of my negative thoughts are about things that haven't even happened yet.
    Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For not being able to think of anything to say Mary, you've said it quite well. I think women in general are more inclined to worry a bit about things 'about to happen.' Our projecting into the future can be debillitating at times, or just in general a dragging down. I truly am trying not to do that cuz it seems the Universe hears in that exact moment what we are thinking and then before you know it, that is what we are living. Manifestation happens in the blink of an eye now, or so it appears anywho.
    I am so happy you did not have to get down on your knees on hard floors to practice on a Dummy! Thank You Mother/Father God for watching over Our Sister!
    I hope you have an easy day today Mary! I'm going to ease into it...I woke up from very vivid dreams and am still trying to process them all so I'm still in a daze as I am beginning my day.
    Thinking of you and holding you close to my heart...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas!
    What the old mind can conceive...the old body can't do. sigh!
    What we could do in the PAST is an impossiblity to do in the NOW.
    Trying to get up off of my sons low couch made a believer out of me.
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh THE RUSTY YEARS :0(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cold up this way too, Hon. But you have walking to do, in it. -sigh-

    Oh yes, our thoughts! What pesky little things they can be... When we don't keep an eye on them. And a rein on them I guess.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary, such wise words you speak. I'm one of those people who lets negative thinking impede me from soo many things...and I know it too. Trying not to worry is easier said than done! I suppose it takes lots of practice. :)

    Also, I'm glad to hear that the CPR session went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that the training went well! You are so right, we worry about things that haven't even happened yet.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete