Monday, August 31, 2009

Autumn Memories

Autumn, my favorite time of the year. I chose this picture because it reminds me of the home of my childhood. We lived on a street like this for so many years. I remember when I was a little older and got to stay out later, walking along a street like the one above and holding my hands over my hair because hundreds of bats were flying around. I was an only child, and as I grew older, I began to feel so alone; I couldn't wait to get away from there. So, I went from the tranquil scene above to the maddening noise and excitement of city life...and for many years I was happy living here in the city....wouldn't want to live any place else. But, now that I am growing older, I yearn for the peace and serenity I left behind a lifetime ago.

Quickly earth's jewels disappear;
The turf, whereon I tread,
Ere autumn blanch another year,
May rest above my head.

Touched by the finger of decay
is every earthly love;
For joy, to shun my weary way,
is registered above

The languid brooklets yield their sighs,
A requiem o'er the tomb
Of sunny days and cloudless skies,
Enhancing autumn's gloom.

The wild winds mutter, howl, and moan,
To scare my woodland walk,
And frightened fancy flees, to roam
Where ghosts and goblins stalk.

The cricket's sharp, discordant scream
Fills mortal sense with dread'
More sorrowful it scare could seem;
It voices beauty fled.

Yet here, upon this faded sod,
O happy hours and fleet,
When songsters' matin hymns to God
Are poured in strains so sweet.

My heart unbidden joins rehearse,
I hope it's better made,
When mingling with the universe,
Beneath the maple's shade.
(Written in girlhood, in a maple grove by Mary Baker Eddy)

No comments:

Post a Comment