Wednesday, August 26, 2009


Coney Island is one of my special places, my haven away from the madness of the world of reality. A 20 minute subway ride from my home, the beach offers me a much needed escape from the hectic city, and although there might be thousands of people frolicking on the beach, it is only the ocean, our Great Mother, who grabs my attention. I love the salty smell of the air, the sand glistening brightly under the sun's rays, and the ocean breeze rustling gently through my hair. I watch the waves as they crest and crash over one another. Near the shoreline, the warm ocean water is covered with foam and bubbles from the rumbling waves. Hours later it is time for me to say good bye, but I am not sad because I know she will always be there for me, waiting for my return.

4 comments:

  1. I live in the city too but have never made it out to Coney Island yet. I was afraid the beaches might be too crowded in the summer and I wouldn't have enough privacy to "do some work" or just to sit alone and be at peace for a little while. Did you hear about how they're planning to tear down most of what we know as Coney Island? (i.e. the rollercoaster, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you must make it out there. The beaches are crowded, but I don't go out on the beach per se. That bench on the boardwalk is where I park myself for the afternoon. I first stop at Nathans for my hot dog and drink, then just go stare out at the ocean. I get so lost in it that I am immune to the crowd around me. I heard they were going to tear it down. That to me is so sad. It's a piece of history, but isn't that what they doing all over the city? Getting rid of the past? I work on Delancey Street and the changes there just turn your stomach. One that stands out is this ugly blue high rise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delancey is awful!! I was down there last weekend and yes, it's sickening. I live in midtown and there's (de)construction all around me too. I'm planning on moving to Brooklyn or somewhere else that's quieter and less hectic, and frankly, more affordable. Manhattan is annoying me. Know anyone with an apartment to rent?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I don't know of any apartments for rent right now, but I can tell you if you are looking in Brooklyn, Sunset Park and Carroll Gardens are really being hooked up nice right now, and the rents are still reasonable. I love Brooklyn because I always say I have the best of both worlds. Only a 20 minute ride from the city and living in a fairly countrylike atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete