Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring, Beautiful Spring...and a Little This and That

The air was full of sun and birds,
The fresh air sparkled clearly.
Remembrance wakened in my heart
And I knew I loved her dearly.

The fallows and the leafless trees
And all my spirit tingled.
My earliest thought of love, and Spring's
First puff of perfume mingled.

In my still heart the thoughts awoke,
Came lone by lone together -
Say, birds and Sun and Spring, is Love
A mere affair of weather?

Robert Louis Stevenson


What an amazing springlike day it was yesterday, and as I walked from the subway to work, I happened to notice that the trees were beginning to bud.  The birds were singing and flitting about.  It was such a joyous morning. Spring personifies life for me; it is a time of new beginnings. Everything in nature is rested and was rejuvenated, including myself. It is going to be a glorious spring. I just know it is.

Hubby and I were talking last night about the 'winter that never was'.  It has been an unbelievable season.  Thinking about it, I realize that I only wore my heavy winter coat ONE time, my winter scarves only a few times, and a hat twice.  I've not had to miss one day of work for icy walkways.  I wonder what this means.  Could this be a sign of things to come?  After all, it 'is' 2012, not that I hold any belief that the world is about to end.  But, we are, as a civilization destroying our environment....almost like one would commit a slow suicide.

Yesterday I was so sick all day.  Don't know why I went to work, but I did and really suffered.  My tummy ached so bad.  I'd eaten some bread pudding on Monday, the best I every ate, and greedy me just had to accept that second piece.  When, oh when, will I learn. My tummy can no longer digest certain foods. I know this, but sometimes I am not able to stop myself, but, boy, did I pay the price. The stomach cramps started about 3:30 in the morning and went on and on and on. By the time I left work later in the day, I had nothing in my tummy.  Fortunately, today is another day, and I'm feeling ever so much better. 

This will be my first spring and summer in my new home.  Don't know what to expect.  The real estate agent had shown us the courtyard and told us how everyone gets together and barbecues on the weekend.  I really do hope that is true.  For so long I lived in a place where I had no one to socialize with, where I felt like an outcast.  It would be nice to be a 'part of' for a change. I've also got my herbs from last year that I have yet to plant.  These are the ones that I had bought for my back porch garden, but never planted after we had the flood from the neighbor's awning.  Anyone know if the seeds will still be good?

Hubby got turned down for the job, and we are both so disappointed.  Well, he wasn't exactly turned down.  The position is currently on hold due to budget cuts.  So, for awhile longer, I will be holding down the fort.  Who knows what the future will bring?  It's pretty darned bad out there in the job market.  All I can do is hope and pray that something comes along for him soon. He's really starting to get restless and bored, and with that comes a bit of 'pickiness'.  I find I've had to set him straight on more than one occasion.  

You often hear me express my desire for retirement, but seeing how he's handling his time off, I wonder if I really could handle it.  Of course, though, they say there is a difference between a 'forced' retirement such as his and the 'chosen' retirement that mine would be. At any rate, I put in for a week's vacation mid-April.  The last time I had a week off here was right after we moved and were getting the house together.  I guess you can say this next vacation will be my first 'quality' time in my new home.  


Well, guess it's on to work for me.  Talk to you all tomorrow.







7 comments:

  1. Yay for Vacations Mary! :) You deserve it!
    As for the seeds they should still be alright. I always keep mine from year to year.
    I'm going to be helping my Son and His Lady Partner put in an herbal garden this year along with other vege's. I can't wait! Won't be long now...
    Holding Hubby and You in Prayertime for the job to come through!
    Radiant Blessings Dear One!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the summer BBQs happen too and are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry about the Job :(..we are being snowed on. I think March is making up for all the snow we didn't get during winter. Enjoy the spring weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the job. I completely understand your husband's restlessness. But yes, spring is coming (although I woke to snow today) and that means outdoor work to do. Like you, when we lived in the city, we had very little social life. There was a rooftop area, but those who went up there kept to themselves or had little cliques. Here, however is completely different. There are "porch parties." When you start the BBQ, the neighbors come over with their meat. It's great and one of the best things about this place. Your courtyard will be very good for you too!

    PS. I think I can be a little picky with The Bard too these days. ugh. cabin fever. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Mary, you will love your retirement! It would be so much better if he had a yard to take care of and a shed to putz in. George is always out doing "things" putzing around out there or across the street with the other guys. I have a chore list on the board for him too. Women always seem to entertain themselves, to where men that have nothing to do think we should entertain them. Wishing you an awesome evening with your hubby!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Summer barbecues will be so much fun for you (just stay away from bread pudding!) Seeds can be viable for years, as long as they are stored in a cool dry place, away from heat. To test seeds, drop them in a dish of water...the ones that float are good, the ones that sink should be thrown away. Enjoy planting!

    ReplyDelete