Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Morning Rambles



On Monday mornings I am dedicated to the proposition that all men are created jerks. 

-H. Allen Smith- 


So true. There is something about riding the subway early Monday morning that makes one want to turn around and go back home. Smiles are rare and grumpiness abounds.  It seems that no one likes Monday morning.  In Spain, they have a wonderful idea--Puente' days.  Puente' is the Spanish for bridge. Unlike the rest of the world, the Spanish hold their bank holidays on a Tuesday, consequently, on most occasions Monday will be treated as a 'bridge day' -- an extra day of holiday -- thus ensuring a four- day weekend. 

Here in this neck of the woods, the weather was pretty gloomy. It was rather cool and damp, pretty miserable on those old arthritic bones.  Recently, I started taking Krill oil. Several  studies have indicated that it arthritic pain and inflammatory pain of joints and is very good for the heart.  Krill are tiny, shrimp-like creatures that flourish deep in the Antarctic Ocean; the oil is better absorbed into your body than the Omega-3 from regular fish oil.

My dad died of a heart attack.  He'd had his first one when he was in his 30's and died of a major coronary in his early 60's. I'll soon turn 65, and lately I've been thinking about my own mortality. While researching for my latest blog on Cronehood, I've had to face the fact that, although I've accepted the fact that my youth is far behind me, I have not, consciously, accepted the fact that changes do have to be made.  I can no longer get by eating many of the foods the foods  and have to learn how to 'let go'.  Ice cream once in awhile is fine, but every night is a 'no-no'.   High fat lunches have to go and be replaced with healthy, leafy greens.  What got me by in my youth is slowly killing me in my declining years.

Change is never easy, and I know I've a steep uphill climb, but I know I can do it.  If I could stop smoking after 48 years, I can do anything I set my mind to.

Nothing that is can pause or stay;
The moon will wax, the moon will wane,
The mist and cloud will turn to rain,
The rain to mist and cloud again,
Tomorrow be today.

-Henry Wadsworth Longfellow- 


I'd like to close with the following in honor of those who lost loved ones or  died in the tornado zone.  Such a tragedy.  I light a candle and send prayers and healing thoughts your way.

They are not dead,
Who leave us this great heritage of remembering joy.

They still live in our hearts,
In the happiness we knew, in the dreams we shared.

They still breathe,
In the lingering fragrance,windblown, from their favorite flowers.

They still smile in the moonlight’s silver,
And laugh in the sunlight’s sparking gold.

They still speak in the echoes of the words we’ve heard them say again and again.

They still move,
In the rhythm of waving grasses, in the dance of the tossing branches.

They are not dead;
Their memory is warm in our hearts, comfort in our sorrow.

They are not apart from us, but part of us,

For love is eternal,
And those we love shall be with us throughout all eternity.

-Anonymous-








8 comments:

  1. Husband's and my own knees are becoming a real problem for us lately ...don't know if krill oil would be available in Scotland, tho? Will have to look!
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of krill oil before -- interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The damp days are boogers aren't they Mary?
    I take 2000 units of Omega 3 Fish Oil with D everyday as prescribed by my doctor heart health and it does help with my joints too. I've been considering krill oil the next time I have to buy. But whatever the weather does affect those of us who have arthritis, fibro, etc. from those I talk with about it. Good thing is the weather will be warming soon...we are supposed to hit the 50's tomorrow and Wednesday and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Hope they come your way too! :)
    I loved your poem in honor of those who lost their lives in the Tornado Torn States...so sad.
    Have a beautiful week Sister Soul!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Monday Mary :) x x x hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes Dear, you can do it!!!!! Make those healthy changes now.

    We thought we were eating healthy, and basically, we were. But not healthy enough for me, with a family history of heart disease.

    It took my 3 nearly clogged arteries (Surprise!!!) and 3 stents, to give me the Umph to STOP eating so many things. It's not easy for me, when having weekly Family Dinner, and everyone else is eating many NO-No's. But... I'm doing it.

    I know I won't live forever. But I'm not going to hurry a stroke or heart attack, just to taste this or that...

    It's a constant choice. But a stroke scares the britches off of me. So, I keep making the right choices. Not eating a whole lot of things, which I want to. And everyone else is. At least, I know I am trying.

    You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    "Seeing what is in front of one's nose requires a constant struggle."
    ~~George Orwell

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so very right, change is never easy. We just seem to get very set in our ways and when things come along and make us change, well we are never to happy about it. I have learned this past year to just roll with it, I can't stop it. I can't stop what is and has happened to my body, yes change. You are a very strong lady and yes, you can and will do it. Because you know that is what you need to do for the good of your body. I seem to notice my mama in the mirror more and more....
    I hope you have a surprise when you arrive home this evening!
    Love you! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good day Mary....I haven't been visiting blogs lately....seems like I
    'm a little blue or something....anyway.....glad you are taking Krill oil...yes...it is very good for arthritis...we are about the same age...and indeed we can no longer take our health for granted.

    xo

    jJo

    ReplyDelete